Sponge Woes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Featheryfish

Reaction score
I finally have the filter intake sponge I've wanted for the past three weeks. The local stores I checked didn't have any at all, and Amazon didn't have the sort I wanted, but eventually I found the sponge of my dreams from Aquarium Co-op. Then I made a mistake filling out my shipping info and the sponge traveled up and down the West Coast twice before it made it to my mailbox.

So, my sponges. I wanted to use this intake sponge instead of the included interior sponges for coarse mechanical filtration, and ceramic rings for biological. Since I was waiting on the intake sponge, I ended up cramming the interior sponges and the ceramic rings into the HOB filter together. It's pretty packed. Which works fine, except for the fact that I get backflow if I turn my filter all the way up.

I want to be able to turn my filter all the way up. But I am scared to remove the interior sponges and any bacteria colonies they're housing. I would hope my ceramic rings are where the main BB action is at, but what do I know. :S

How can I wean the tank off of the extraneous sponge layer? Is there something else useful I can do with these sponges? :fish:

Every day remove 1 layer of sponge? May I please see a picture? :)

I would leave it longer between than every day. Maybe one a week?

Every day remove 1 layer of sponge? May I please see a picture? :)

I would love to show you a picture! But I have lost track of the cord doohickey that I use to transfer photos from my smartphone to my laptop - I'll go hunt around for it. My SO is the one in charge of cords around here, lol. I'm setting up that 75 gallon I wanted on Tuesday and I'm definitely going to want to post some pictures - I built a cinder block stand myself so I'm proud. :lol: I'm just moving this filter to that tank, it's rated for up to 100 gallons so I figure it's actually good for about 75 gallons.

Picture solidish, brick-like sponges crammed stupidly everywhere. :rofl:

They were in a neat layer before of the bag of ceramic rings so they could filter any gunk, but I moved them around to improve the flow once I got the intake sponge. There were two big sponges and I cut them sort of in half. About 2/3 of the sponge material is now more or less on top of the rings near the outflow, and the remaining chunk is actually in the back by the filter floss cartridge. (I dislike that cartridge too, I already bought a bag of plain floss to replace it with when it quits.)

I could trim off pieces and remove one chunk every few days. I've heard of people squeezing old sponges into the water, should I squeeze out pieces I remove before I toss them or is that nonsense?

The usual advice if you are replacing a filter is to run the 2 side by side for a period. You aren't replacing a filter so there is no real need (as long as your tank is established). Once it is established your BB can double in a single day if conditions are right - so even if you throw out 50% of the beneficial bacteria no harm is done.

By all means get rid of the sponge gradually if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back