Sponge Filters On A 110 Gal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

schooly20

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I posted this in tropical discussions but that I'd post it in here to just to get more opinions. I found a great deal on a 110 gal tank and have been thinking about buying it. It doesnt come with any filters though, he said all he used on it were sponge filters and he would be willing to give those to me as well. I would look at keeping freshwater tropical in it and just wanted to see if a couple sponge filters would actually work on a tank that size or if it would need some other type of filtration method?

On a bare bottomed tank with regular maintanance and suffincient filters, it could be made to work. The are great biologicaly, but don't have enough "bite" to filter out solid waste efficiently in such a large tank usualy. I'd look at canister filters, as they will do the job more efficently, even though they are more expencive.

All the best
Rabbut

They will work fine for bio filtration, but not mechanical filtration. Run enough air through box filters with floss, and the will provide mechanical filtration. It's a noisy setup, but about as cheap as you can get. I filter a couple of 150 gallon tubs this way.

dump the sponge filter

just buy a canister filter job do

if you want the best buy a Ehiem
if you want budget buy a tetratec

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back