Sponge Filter And Sand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LacertaIlla

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello Hello, I'm back with another silly question.

So I have adopted a co-workers fish (and two tanks). All of the fish minus 6 molly fry and the guppies are in the big tank (I'm worried about Bruce (Bala Shark) eating the guppies and fry). At the moment, the guppies are in a 20L (5 gallons) while I'm in the process of setting up the 140L (37 gallons), and I've has a few issues, but for the most part its all sorted now.

Me being the strange person I am, I've decided to name the guppies after characters from The Walking Dead, and since I have my main characters (kinda) I figured it would be cool/funny to have a "School of Swimmers" (a hoard of walkers), and I'm torn between a school of tetras or a school of corydoras. I've read that while you can keep corys on gravel, they're much better off on sand as it doesn't wear down their barbels.

The 140L tank is going into my bedroom, and the sponge filter/air pump I have now are fairly quiet (unlike the two filters I have which are extremely noisy), hence me wanting to use them in my room. What I'm worried about is the sponge sucking up a bunch of sand then not being able to filter the water properly.

TLDR: Can I use a sponge filter with a sand substrate? If not, what kind of filter can I use and can anyone recommend a quiet one?

hi, absolutely no problem with sponge filters and sand ... I've got two running in my seperated fry tank (one in each compartment) and there's no issue at all :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back