Sort of a life change.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Decided it was time. ;) Tomorrow will be a week since I've had either a cigarette or a drink. Sort of odd, or mayhaps not, but I've experienced zero discomfort or cravings.

The reason for the 'mayhaps not' is that my local Veteran's Administration is mainly a rehab and psych center. They have an addiction risk rating and mine is zero risk. This means that it is next to impossible for me to become addicted. I attribute that largely to the fact that for MANY years I've held the belief that my mind controls my body, not the other way around.

Decided it was time. ;) Tomorrow will be a week since I've had either a cigarette or a drink. Sort of odd, or mayhaps not, but I've experienced zero discomfort or cravings.

The reason for the 'mayhaps not' is that my local Veteran's Administration is mainly a rehab and psych center. They have an addiction risk rating and mine is zero risk. This means that it is next to impossible for me to become addicted. I attribute that largely to the fact that for MANY years I've held the belief that my mind controls my body, not the other way around.
Hello. As a fellow veteran, I understand the smokes and the alcohol. It's been sometime since I've had either. I guess I abused my privileges, so I made the decision to cut myself off. The VA is a good choice, they're there to help you and have people who are experienced. I wouldn't waste any time getting help. They can be there for you if you think you may fall back into old habits. You'll miss it in the beginning, but as time goes by, you'll wonder why in the world you indulged in that stuff in the first place. It did us no damn good! Just because you were young and you could and everyone else did, doesn't fly very far if you stop and think about it.

Good luck to you, Shipmate!

10 Tanks (Now 11)

It's such a weird cultural phenomenon to me.

I have never met so many people that struggled with this before moving to North America.. I lived my youth in Italy and I have been drunk twice in my life, and can count on the fingers of one hands the times some of my youths friends got drunk.
Drinking age there is 16, nobody asks anybody for IDs, drinking is "normal" and there is no "rush" for it, it's not something new and exciting for anyone, it's very rare to find drunk people.
If there is a bottle of wine at the table, it's normal that there is some left at the end of the meal.

I understand the physical need to have a complete clean cut, from drinking to 0, if someone has actually struggled with alcoholism, but I know of a lot of people here in Canada that never struggled, they just used to drink on weekends.. Maybe too much but not to the point of being addicted (with the physical changes it brings), and suddenly decided they don't drink anything (and make it a big part of their personality).
Why? Learn to drink just one glass instead.. I don't understand.

Not judging on your situation, just wanted to vent because I am stuck with a thing at work while some automation complete and I ran out of aquarium content on YouTube XD
Actually, congratulation on the start of your journey :)

Another thing that virtually does not exist in Italy is military. I know one person who's been in the army there. Maybe the fact nobody has PTSD helps.

To be honest I've not had any cravings or discomfort. The only thing is that I miss the routine of going outside and chatting with other smokers. Easy solution is that I still go outside but just don't smoke. ;) Doesn't even seem to bother me that others are smoking.

To be honest I've not had any cravings or discomfort. The only thing is that I miss the routine of going outside and chatting with other smokers. Easy solution is that I still go outside but just don't smoke. ;) Doesn't even seem to bother me that others are smoking.
Hands down the best attitude

I gave up cigarettes years ago and I can't drink anymore because of the meds I take. I don't really miss drinking and I don't miss tobacco at all.

Never had an issue with alcohol though this is likely due alcohol making me feel sick if I had more than 3 drinks at any time. Was a light smoker from about 13 years till my 40th, and haven't smoked since (20 years), but unlike some of you I would have to say I still have cravings especially in special high pressure situations. Found I missed the ability to say I am going for a smoke when at work, sometimes you need to step away from things and smoking provided that avenue.

Hello. As a fellow veteran, I understand the smokes and the alcohol. It's been sometime since I've had either. I guess I abused my privileges, so I made the decision to cut myself off. The VA is a good choice, they're there to help you and have people who are experienced. I wouldn't waste any time getting help. They can be there for you if you think you may fall back into old habits. You'll miss it in the beginning, but as time goes by, you'll wonder why in the world you indulged in that stuff in the first place. It did us no damn good! Just because you were young and you could and everyone else did, doesn't fly very far if you stop and think about it.

Good luck to you, Shipmate!

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Actually the VA had nothing to do with my decision and I haven't solicited help such as patches or anything as I don't need such. I only brought up the VA to express their addiction risk rating in my case.

Realistically patches and stuff do nothing unless you want to change. If you don't want to change nothing is going to work. Granted such aids can help someone that wants to change but doesn't have the strength of mind to do so. Trust in that I have the strength of mind and don't need the aids.

I quit smoking cold turkey too...tobacco and the baccy of the wacky variety 🫣 definitely mind over matter, but you really have to WANT to stop. Once I made my mind over that it wasn't a lifestyle I wanted anymore, I just stopped 🤷🏻‍♀️ it wasn't hard for me despite my addiction and putting on a ton of weight was still worth being cig and drug free 💪🏻 go me and go you too! You'll be amazed at how much money you'll save....enough for another aquarium 🤩

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back