Change Of Wood - Fish Suffocating Within 24 Hours

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I contacted them and they said there was nothing wrong with the wood as they have been using it in their tanks and I just had an ammonia spike. I don’t believe this to be the case but I think they assumed I was a sort of first time fish owner and not understanding cycling etc! Thanks for that, I won’t try adding the wood again any time in the future then unless there is a way to get rid of the fungus.

I contacted them and they said there was nothing wrong with the wood as they have been using it in their tanks and I just had an ammonia spike. I don’t believe this to be the case but I think they assumed I was a sort of first time fish owner and not understanding cycling etc! Thanks for that, I won’t try adding the wood again any time in the future then unless there is a way to get rid of the fungus.

Not surprising, their reaction. Fungus like this one in the wood is permanent, according to a marine biologist and microbiologist I consulted. Some of the wood has it, some doesn't. I just won't risk any of the branchy wood just in case. I collect oak branches that are dead dry for my one blackwater tank, and use Malaysian Driftwood in the other tanks.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I have some rocks on the way and will keep the piece of Malaysian driftwood I have in for my pleco

Ok, thanks for the advice. I have some rocks on the way and will keep the piece of Malaysian driftwood I have in for my pleco

Make sure the rocks are not calcareous, which can raise the GH/KH/pH asa they very slowly dissolve. OK with hard water species, but not soft water fish.

Make sure the rocks are not calcareous, which can raise the GH/KH/pH asa they very slowly dissolve. OK with hard water species, but not soft water fish.
I agree. An easy way to test this, is to pour white vinegar on the rock. If it bubbles, then its no good. If it doesn't bubble, then it is relatively safe. (Note: This method isn't always fool proof)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back