Something is off....

I definitely have used a UV sterilizer for parasite control on a Regal Tang - they will spot out over and over again with ich, 6 months in a tank with UV and regular water changes and he quit spotting out. I do not know how effective it would be on an internal bacterial infection. How is TB spread from fish to fish? suspended in water so via gills, or waste consumed by other fish (as Enteric septicemia is spread), or some other factor?

I definitely have used a UV sterilizer for parasite control on a Regal Tang - they will spot out over and over again with ich, 6 months in a tank with UV and regular water changes and he quit spotting out. I do not know how effective it would be on an internal bacterial infection. How is TB spread from fish to fish? suspended in water so via gills, or waste consumed by other fish (as Enteric septicemia is spread), or some other factor?
From my understanding and as explained by Colin, it's contracted when either a fish eats a dead fish that had TB or eating waste product or a plant that has the bacteria on it...so I guess if its in the tank and your fish are susceptible then they're going to get it

From my understanding and as explained by Colin, it's contracted when either a fish eats a dead fish that had TB or eating waste product or a plant that has the bacteria on it...so I guess if its in the tank and your fish are susceptible then they're going to get it
If not suspended in water a UV sterilizer may not do any good

If not suspended in water a UV sterilizer may not do any good
It won't be any good for TB, no. But it may help with other nasties...which can only help

A UV steriliser isn't going to help much. It might kill a few bacteria in the water column but once the Mycobacteria is in the fish or on the substrate, it's not going to make any difference. If you want to use one, go for it but it might only prolong their lives by a month or two, if at all. It certainly won't make a noticeable difference to fish that are already infected.

A UV steriliser isn't going to help much. It might kill a few bacteria in the water column but once the Mycobacteria is in the fish or on the substrate, it's not going to make any difference. If you want to use one, go for it but it might only prolong their lives by a month or two, if at all. It certainly won't make a noticeable difference to fish that are already infected.
I was afraid you were going to say that 😮‍💨 well I suppose that's that then

Really feel for you😔 i went through something very similar with my group of Dwarf neons 4 years ago and i have had to keep one of my tanks closed since.

Really hope yours pull through whatever the issue is 🤞

Really feel for you😔 i went through something very similar with my group of Dwarf neons 4 years ago and i have had to keep one of my tanks closed since.

Thank you, I appreciate it...Nice knowing its OK to feel as pants as I do about it!

I had to bleach most of my tanks after I moved fish from a tank with neon tetra disease to other tanks. It affects a whole lot more than neons. Happily the bleach treatment and restart worked. But those tanks were empty for a year while my heart recovered.

20230525_101203.jpg

The next victim? Her and another female that I can't get a good photo of. They're looking skinny but still eating. I've not been able to get hold of any wormer yet...is it worms or TB? 🙄

Maybe both, worms and TB. Worms cause fish to lose weight over a period of months. You can reduce the weight loss by feeding more often and feeding until the fish are full. But you need to do more frequent water changes to keep the tank clean. This is only a temporary thing you do to try and buy some time for the fish. More food going into the fish equals more blood produced by the fish and the longer they can live with the worms. Eventually if left untreated, the worms kill the fish.

TB normally causes the fish to bloat up, stop eating, do a stringy white poop and die within 24-48 of bloating.

I've got the NT labs Anti fluke and Wormer on order, might as well do the whole tank. Can I use it whilst there's salt in the water? I'm still in the process of changing it out, about 2 thirds done

@Colin_T do you think the fact fish are not dying rapidly that this might mean its not TB?

deworming medications can be used with salt.

i don't know how many fish have died and over what time frame.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back