🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CaptainBarnicles

Moderate Pleco Tolerator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Last few days I've been noticing the rainbows flashing, definitely some itching going on. A couple of them have white mouths, I know that can happen from time to time but I'm not happy with how they're behaving at the moment, although they're still doing the breeding thing first thing, the i havent seen any flaring during the day 🤔 I've been doing water changes since I first saw the itching, I put coconuts in the tank last week and thought maybe it was that (even though I scrubbed them).

Water tested, ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 10, pH between 7-8 and we've got really hard water.

Just done another >50% water change and I'm feeling really uneasy...
20230505_144652.jpg
20230505_144653.jpg
20230505_144659.jpg
20230505_144715.jpg

I don't really see the "itching", but it does like like their fins are clamped

They look pale as well, are the lights always that bright in the tank?

Coconuts...just the cleaned shells, correct?...where they exposed to any chemicals, by chance?

I tried to catch them flicking off the plants but typical luck...

The lights are always like that, they're actually on the dimmer end of the spectrum as it's mainly crypts in the tank...they still colour up beautifully but I don't know if I'm seeing a 'whiteness' to them?? I'm feeling paranoid.

the coconuts are just the shells, the description said they were aquarium safe, I gave them a scrub and a bit of a soak anyway before putting them in

Yeah, I see a bit of it now in this most recent vid...could possibly be ich, you aren't always going to see the actual "white spot" protozoan when fish are afflicted...I am certainly no fish disease expert, by any means, though, so keep that in mind

Anything possibly causing undue stress on the fish lately?

@Colin_T , have a look, please

I wondered the same and I've been almost waiting for the spots to appear but nothing as of yet...temperature is already at 26-27°C, didn't want to raise it without knowing for sure....columnaris keeps invading my brain🥺 I really hope not

I don't have enough salt to treat the whole tank and I've not got a quarantine (rookie mistake)...waiting for delivery but won't be here until the 10th 😱 I'm away from home this weekend too so feeling pretty stressed

I wondered the same and I've been almost waiting for the spots to appear but nothing as of yet...temperature is already at 26-27°C, didn't want to raise it without knowing for sure....columnaris keeps invading my brain🥺 I really hope not
I hope not, as well....

So, kind of grasping at straws here. I know you said your water is hard; when is the last time you actually tested it? I ask because my rainbows, especially the bosemanis, used to get columnaris or something very similar whenever I let the water get too soft. I kind of doubt that's what's going on here, but maybe?

I can't remember the last time I actually tested for gH, I usually go by the water providers website. Its very unlikely that it has softened, you'd only need to look at my kettle to prove that! Need a hammer and chisel to get the limescale off 😅

But seriously, I've not got a clue what to do if it is Columnaris! Never had to deal with it before. I've added cherry barbs, 3 boesemani and those new crypts in the last month...I would have thought something like that would have presented itself before now?

When mine got it, I lowered the temp slightly and increased the water hardness, and they got over it. Sorry I don't have more help.
What did you lower the temperature to?

20230505_174926.jpg

This guy was the first one to start with the lips...that little white dot on his side looked like a damaged scale, I presumed from all the sparring...but now I think he's scratched it when trying to rid his itch?

😭

I don't remember; I think I just let it go down to room temperature.

That almost looks like an ich spot on that one's side.
It's only visible from a certain angle, it's been there for about 4 days and it's the only mark I can see on any of the fish 🤷🏻‍♀️

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back