Something Fishy Is Going On Here...

Assuming the hydrometer is correct and not giving you false readings we can assume the salinity is correct. Maybe get your LFS to check a sample and you test it with your hydrometer as well. If the results are similar it isn't the salinity.
I re-calibrated my refractometer about three weeks ago.

When did you last do a water change on the tank and how much do you change?
I'm not totally sure, but I think about 2 weeks ago, 20%
However, since I just added a coral and a feather duster (bad me!) I had to take out water and I'm slowly replaceing it. I didn't want to add all the new SW at once, just incase it is the RO water.

A 50% water would dilute any toxins in the water and would add depleted elements (calcium, carbonates, etc) to the water making the environment more stabile.
Perhaps even do a couple of water changes per week for a couple of weeks. This should get the water into perfect condition and remove water quality problems from the issue.
Like I said, I'm afraid to do a water change because it might be the RO water.

I noticed you use Windex, window and glass cleaner around the house. If you use algae cleaning magnets and there is Windex residue on the aquarium glass, when you have finished with the magnets and put them together in the fish bucket (or wherever you keep them), there is a possibility the Windex that has gotten onto the outside magnet from the glass, will rub off on the inside magnet. Then when you use the magnets next time you put the contaminated magnet cleaner inside the tank and the Windex residue washes off into the tank and poisons things. It might only be a small amount but could be killing the inverts.
I keep the magfloat in the tank. My tank is covered with eggcrate, though, so any chemicals getting in there isn't too far fatched. I usually am very careful though.

Make sure you don't have any soap, grease, moisturising cream, etc on your hands when working on or in the tank, or when feeding the fish.
Make sure there are no paint fumes, perfumes, deodorants, smoke, etc in the room.
Well the smoke is kinda unavoidable, 'cause both my parents smoke...

Perhaps add some activated carbon to the filter to help remove any chemical contaminants that may be in there. Remove the carbon after a couple of weeks and throw it away. See how the fish do after that.
I have tons of activated carbon lying around, but no filters of any kind to put them in. :(

Monitor the ammonia levels shortly after feeding the fish and make sure the filters are removing it all within an hour (30 minutes is a better time). The longer ammonia is in the water them more damage it does to the inhabitants.
Yeah I cut down on my feeding about two weeks ago. I feed formula one flakes every other day and put each flake in seperately so I can see the fish eat it. When I'm not feeding the flake I feed some kind of frozen. Half the cube, twice a day. It's usually mysis or spirulina brine shrimp.

Thanks for the post. Off to test pH and ammonia again.

The refractometer should be fine. They are pretty acurate. Sometimes the cheaper plastic hydrometers or the glass floating ones are not very acurate.

R/O water should be safe. Generally the R/O unts remove all the nasty stuff and leave behind nice clean almost pure water. If you use this to make up the salt water it should be fine. Make the salt water up in a bucket and have it aerate for 24 hours before you use it. This will allow the salts to completely dissolve and you can adjust the temperature and salinity before it goes into the tank.

Having the Magfloat algae magnet in the tank all the time will prevent the Windex issue from happening. I mentioned Windex because my cousin used to clean the front of his tank with it and then use the algae magnets to clean the glass. When he was finished he would take the magnets out and put them together in the fish cupboard. As soon as I found out about this he stopped doing it.

Tell your parents they have to give up smoking because it is killing the fish :)
Maybe see about getting a coverglass for the tank. Also check with your folks, (paricularly mum) as they might be spraying stuff around the room when you aren't home.

Carbon can be put into the leg of a stocking or you can buy special filter material bags. Even an old fine mesh fish net can be cut up and used to hold the carbon. Then you can put the bag of carbon near the outlet of a pump. The water will hopefully flow thru and around the carbon and it should be able to absorb some stuff.

R/O water should be safe. Generally the R/O unts remove all the nasty stuff and leave behind nice clean almost pure water. If you use this to make up the salt water it should be fine. Make the salt water up in a bucket and have it aerate for 24 hours before you use it. This will allow the salts to completely dissolve and you can adjust the temperature and salinity before it goes into the tank.
Yeah, that's what I do. I'm just thinking it isn't working properly.

Tell your parents they have to give up smoking because it is killing the fish :)

Lol. :lol:

Maybe see about getting a coverglass for the tank. Also check with your folks, (paricularly mum) as they might be spraying stuff around the room when you aren't home.
I've got that covered, she has to spray stuff in another room, onto the paper towel.

Carbon can be put into the leg of a stocking or you can buy special filter material bags. Even an old fine mesh fish net can be cut up and used to hold the carbon. Then you can put the bag of carbon near the outlet of a pump. The water will hopefully flow thru and around the carbon and it should be able to absorb some stuff.
I guess it's worth a shot.

Thanks again for the help. :)

pH is 7.8 but what time is it, morning before lights on, or night after lights have been on all day?
It's too low whatever time it is :)

The lights are on for a while, 6am to 10pm for actinics, 8:30am to 8:30pm actinics and daylight.

And was that 7.8 taken in the morning, or evening? Pretty sure that's what Colin was gettin at.

Midday. lol.
I'll test now, right before the lights are going to go off.

Okay, pH is 7.8 still. :)

be interesting to see what the PH is first thing in the morning after the lights have been off for a while.

Lights have been on for about 45 minutes and the pH is 7.8

hmm interesting that the PH is staying low. Not enough buffers to keep the PH higher. Have you been adding sodium bicarb to increase the PH?

Haven't been adding anything. I have a maxijet that I keep pointed at the surface but it got knocked down a little. I just fixed it, I'll test the pH again in a few hours.

You will have to add some PH up (sodium bicarb or baking soda) to increase the PH. Otherwise do some big water changes. You have to get the PH up a bit

I know but it was at 8.2 before all this started happening, I think it will go back up on it's own with the surface agitation. I'll give it a few days.

Okay this morning it was 8.2 as soon as the lights came on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back