Someone help me identify this fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jxcksxn

Reaction score
Recently I went out to catch some minnows to put into my fish tank for fun and while showing someone my tank they pointed out that the "minnows" didn't look like minnows at all but a different type of fish... I am a saltwater fishing type of guy so I have no clue about anything in freshwater so I need help Identifying these fish. Don't mind the names of the JPG I'm just trying to be funny lmao.

Attachments

• FISHIES.jpg
    FISHIES.jpg
    930.9 KB · Views: 70
  • fishiesss.jpg
    fishiesss.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 88
It looks to me like some type of live bearer. @emeraldking might know.

Could you get a closer up pic?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

@Colin_T might be able to help you on picture #2. I’m pretty sure that picture #1 is some sort of livebearer?

You also need to check with your local laws, to see if what you did is legal. :)

I don't know why the pictures come back so low quality...but here is a close-up

Attachments

• ScreenshotV2.jpg
    ScreenshotV2.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 81
The bottom one looks like a mollie, the top one almost looks more like a guppy to me but I can't be sure

Both are indeed livebearers. Bottom looks to be wild colouration molly...

while the above one looks to be a juvenile dalmation or marble variety (a domestic bred pattern) BUT thats not a molly im familiar with, shape is wrong, dorsal fin is set back far on the body, which is not a molly trait.

See what emeraldking has to say about that one, but it is a livebearer.

a male green molly and a female leopard livebearer (Phalloceros caudimaculatus).

Go back and get some more of them and have a group of each. The leopard livebearers are pretty little fish.

The larger one looks like a wild sailfin molly. Recently one of the members caught some Sailfin mollys. His pictures look like your fish.

I saw someone else mentioned the questionable legality earlier on, I also live in Florida and have a lifetime Hunting / Fishing license. If you are using a line of any sort in public waters, it is illegal to collect any marine life without a valid permit. So long as you do not use an actual fishing line on public land to catch them, it is perfectly legal to take them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back