Soft Coral-Like Polyp Colony In Freshwater

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LittleRuby

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum with this very delicate question:

In the file attached I took a photo of an extraordinary animal which recently developed in my breeding tank for tetras.

It looks and behaves very much same like soft corals in marine tanks, but it grows in freshwater. Now I'd like very much to determine the species, but so far no one could identify this little creature.

The polyp colony depicted is about 2 inches high. It feeds on infusoria and rotatoria and doesn't harm even tiny fish fry at all.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

wow thats really weird, iv got no clue what it is, but if anyone else knows i wanta find out as well :p

What an amazing thing!

i haven't got a clue what it is either; hope someone knows!

Darn, Start growing it and I bet you can make some mega bucks on it.

Gosh, yes; I'd buy one!

LittleRuby; can you tell us where in the world you are? Not because I'm fishing for some, but it might help someone identify it ;)

Some of the freshwater sponges can grow in a branched format, although I believed them all to be green google tells me otherwise.

Thanks to all of you for your ideas.

Yes my initial idea was some kind of sponge too. But with all the tentacles acting and looking as true corals I'd rather think it's not.
After getting hands on some better photo equipment I will upload a more detailed image, where you can see the tiny tentacles clearly.
Hope this will help

After some fiddling with camera settings I managed to capture this close up of the creature I still can't identify.

It's not the best image I know, but at least the polyps with their widely stretched umbrella-like tentacles are clearly visible.
So I guess it should be ruled out the animal belonging to the sponge family. But what else?

Any ideas?

Ok, I'm going to plump for a freshwater obelia.

Can't see the pictures unfortunately so can't give my 2 cents :( My partner says from the description it sounds like a Hydra :/ Never known them to be 2 inch high or anything but have seen them before and they are pretty cool but I'd expect them to eat the fish fry :/

Nothing at all like hydra, Paradise!

I think Rob's got it. I've never heard of a freshwater cnidaria before!

fluttermoth said:
Nothing at all like hydra, Paradise!

I think Rob's got it. I've never heard of a freshwater cnidaria before!

Ah, just wondered as I can't see the pictures so had to use the description to describe it to my partner and he first thought hydra... I didn't think it was simply becayse of not eating the fry and being 2 inches tall :/

Hi there,

got another crazy looking creature in my breeding tank. It's about 3 inches wide. Moves around all day long and morphes shape depending on mood.

In high resolution images I've taken it looks extraordinary. Sadly can't upload them due to size restriction. So take a look at the poor photo I posted.

Or watch my short clip on Youtube I've just uploaded. Link is  http://www.youtu.be/ec1CP2Eu37o

Note, there is no water current in the tank at all. It is true auto mobil. Enjoy.

Best regards

Attachments

• polyps_c.jpg
    polyps_c.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 469
Hmm, I can see those images and the video has been sped up a bit... Can you get a new photo of the original thing please? I may be able to see it now
confused.gif

Oh and since I can't edit my earlier reply, Fluttermoth Hydra or Cnidaria and are freshwater :/ Never heard of Marine ones...

how do you get theses? i want! :L they look so pretty.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back