Finally tearing down ugly 57g, building new 36g to replace it!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What I meant though is that could the slow flow from the filter, help cause an ammonia/nitrite build up? Like, the water not flowing through the BB enough to process the usual bioload? I feel a bit silly asking this question!
Yes. If the water isn't circulating around the tank properly and is only slowly going through a filter, then it will take longer for ammonia and nitrite to be converted into nitrate.

Water is testing perfectly again, 0/0/10-20ppm, but I've only fed very lightly.

I've definitely made up my mind to replace this tank with a larger one - seems silly now that I put all that stress and effort into setting this one up, only to decide it'll be coming down a month later! I was short-sighted, and didn't do enough research into the size tank my plecos would need. It's hard to get reliable info about L181's for some reason. Sorry @Wills ! After all your help as well, I'll be tearing it down as soon as I can! :blush: Hope you'll still be willing to help advise me when it's time to scape the new set ups! :D:lol:

I really need to sell off smaller empty tanks, bronze cory babies and the 57g before I can replace this one. Once all that is done, can set up the 30-40g in the living room and move half the cories, possibly temp house the fish in this set up in there while I set up a 50-60g for them in here. That's gonna take some time, but the plecos are at least still really small, and the cories seem pretty happy in this set up for now. Spotted some pre-spawning behaviour earlier, and told them off - I have no space or time for more baby fish right now! I'm committed to keeping the water quality up in the meantime. I hope that that's okay... I've considered rehoming the plecs, but I'm really attached and would prefer not to... unless it would be better for them? I would rather rehome them than stunt them.

Placed an order for some more fast growing live plants, for all of the tanks. Aimed just for fast growing, so new plant order is;
* Water sprite
*Murdannia keisak
*Limnophila heterophylla
*Limnophila hippuridoides
*Elodea densa
*Nymphoides hydrophylla Taiwan
*Hygrophila polysperma Rosenervig

Hopefully all of those will help keep the water quality good while I look to improve things!
Of course :) What are your thoughts on going for one really big tank? You keep fish that are pretty much all compatible, they are clearly important to you and I know because I check nearly ever day that there are a lot of pretty good deals for 5 foot tanks on Facebook Marketplace, which is annoying as I want a good deal on a 4 foot and there never are any...

Your plant list looks really good! I've never had much luck with Nymphoides species but see how you go :)

Wills

My Nymphoides grows like mad and starts new plants on the leaf stems regularly. The main difference between our tanks is the water hardness. Does Nymphoides grow better in soft water?

My Nymphoides grows like mad and starts new plants on the leaf stems regularly. The main difference between our tanks is the water hardness. Does Nymphoides grow better in soft water?
You could be right, I had a red tiger lotus years ago probably 15, and that did quite well but I've tried 2 types of lotus recently and neither have done great. The most recent was a green/red one and the bulb broke off from the roots but I planted the roots and it has slowly grown 2-3 small leaves plus the one it had attached. When I tried the Taiwan, it was a bad time for algae in my tank so it didnt really stand a chance...

Wills

You could be right, I had a red tiger lotus years ago probably 15, and that did quite well but I've tried 2 types of lotus recently and neither have done great. The most recent was a green/red one and the bulb broke off from the roots but I planted the roots and it has slowly grown 2-3 small leaves plus the one it had attached. When I tried the Taiwan, it was a bad time for algae in my tank so it didnt really stand a chance...

Wills

I had a tiger lotus that did well for a while too, but I didn't know that you needed to trim off surface leaves in order to keep the submersed leaves at the time, so I ended up removing it and letting the bulb go dormant in some damp sand in a dark cupboard, then promptly forgot all about it... oops :blush:
Is the nymphoides a bulb then? I didn't realise. Thank you @Essjay , will keep the thread updated on how they do! :) Although even if they wind up failing in my tank, it's likely going to be due to my error rather than the hard water!

Of course :) What are your thoughts on going for one really big tank? You keep fish that are pretty much all compatible, they are clearly important to you and I know because I check nearly ever day that there are a lot of pretty good deals for 5 foot tanks on Facebook Marketplace, which is annoying as I want a good deal on a 4 foot and there never are any...

Your plant list looks really good! I've never had much luck with Nymphoides species but see how you go :)

Wills

Thank you!

Personally I'd love to go for a five foot, keeping both plecs and all the cories in there! But wouldn't work here, sadly. When dad "gave me" his 57g, it was because he didn't want it anymore. I'd been maintaining it for him since moving back in to help care for them since it had got to be too much for him, and that's what got me into fish myself. :) But especially now since he's broken his hip and can't go down the garden to visit his aviaries anymore, he wanted that space where the 57g was to have a large bird cage for finches instead. So my plan was for me to have one large-ish tank, and my smaller one for the pygmies, since they don't compete well with larger fish. My two tanks are in my room, so not enough space for a 5 ft, sadly. But my fish cabinet is 130cm long, so can definitely manage a longer tank than I have right now!

Now that he made that plan for the living room tank to go, my mother objected saying she liked watching the fish, so he's changing his mind and wants a long, lower tank plus a bird cage there.... talked about a custom long tank... not sure his final design plans though! So going to wind up with three tanks regardless by the looks of things, lol.

You might wonder why I don't just move the 57g to my room! At first, mostly because it's really, really ugly with a huge ugly hood;
DSCF1666.JPG

But also because it's really old and I trust neither the tank nor the stand it's on. It's not level, which I know you know is a bad thing with a large heavy tank. The stand seems old and worn, and I doubt either tank or stand would survive a move very well, and while the tank itself could fit on my fish cabinet length wise, it's too wide to fit. When I emptied and cleaned it, also found some on the silicone on the inside is coming loose, so it also needs re-sealing in order to be safe. Would rather get rid of it and start over with a different tank, dad and I agree there!
So that's the silly, long story about why not one, simple five footer :blush: It's to try to keep my dad happy :lol:

Not good news that four footers are in short supply! Apparently that's the minimum size I need for my plecs... that's 120 by 45cms, right? How tall/how much volume would typically be in a four foot tank? I'm finding it tricky to math and thus hunt on gumtree for the right size!

Thank you!

Personally I'd love to go for a five foot, keeping both plecs and all the cories in there! But wouldn't work here, sadly. When dad "gave me" his 57g, it was because he didn't want it anymore. I'd been maintaining it for him since moving back in to help care for them since it had got to be too much for him, and that's what got me into fish myself. :) But especially now since he's broken his hip and can't go down the garden to visit his aviaries anymore, he wanted that space where the 57g was to have a large bird cage for finches instead. So my plan was for me to have one large-ish tank, and my smaller one for the pygmies, since they don't compete well with larger fish. My two tanks are in my room, so not enough space for a 5 ft, sadly. But my fish cabinet is 130cm long, so can definitely manage a longer tank than I have right now!

Now that he made that plan for the living room tank to go, my mother objected saying she liked watching the fish, so he's changing his mind and wants a long, lower tank plus a bird cage there.... talked about a custom long tank... not sure his final design plans though! So going to wind up with three tanks regardless by the looks of things, lol.

You might wonder why I don't just move the 57g to my room! At first, mostly because it's really, really ugly with a huge ugly hood;
View attachment 163147
But also because it's really old and I trust neither the tank nor the stand it's on. It's not level, which I know you know is a bad thing with a large heavy tank. The stand seems old and worn, and I doubt either tank or stand would survive a move very well, and while the tank itself could fit on my fish cabinet length wise, it's too wide to fit. When I emptied and cleaned it, also found some on the silicone on the inside is coming loose, so it also needs re-sealing in order to be safe. Would rather get rid of it and start over with a different tank, dad and I agree there!
So that's the silly, long story about why not one, simple five footer :blush: It's to try to keep my dad happy :lol:

Not good news that four footers are in short supply! Apparently that's the minimum size I need for my plecs... that's 120 by 45cms, right? How tall/how much volume would typically be in a four foot tank? I'm finding it tricky to math and thus hunt on gumtree for the right size!
Thats all fair enough I've tried to find space for a 5 foot tank but I'm limited to 4 foot too. 4 foot sizes can range from 200 litres up to 450. The common ones are the Juwel and Fluval ones - Fluval Roma 200 or 240 for example but there are all kinds in that size range. I'm looking for a 300-400 litre tank so looking at Evolution Aqua, Aqua One Aqua Sys or seeing if I can see a custom tank from ND aquatics or Aquariums4life. My problem at the moment is that most of the ones I see that are at a good price are ex marine tanks and have sumps. Though I finally figured out how sumps work the other day so not quite as scary but still scary... But for example you can get a good one for between £300-£450 that way. But I've seen Romas and Juwels going for between £150-£200 with the kit included (filters, heaters etc).

Thats all fair enough I've tried to find space for a 5 foot tank but I'm limited to 4 foot too. 4 foot sizes can range from 200 litres up to 450. The common ones are the Juwel and Fluval ones - Fluval Roma 200 or 240 for example but there are all kinds in that size range. I'm looking for a 300-400 litre tank so looking at Evolution Aqua, Aqua One Aqua Sys or seeing if I can see a custom tank from ND aquatics or Aquariums4life. My problem at the moment is that most of the ones I see that are at a good price are ex marine tanks and have sumps. Though I finally figured out how sumps work the other day so not quite as scary but still scary... But for example you can get a good one for between £300-£450 that way. But I've seen Romas and Juwels going for between £150-£200 with the kit included (filters, heaters etc).
I'd be really scared of a sump system too! I just don't get how they work, lol! I know they mean increased water volume and more media storage etc, I just think I'd mess it up somehow and flood the place lol.

Awesome, I've seen the Fluval 200 and 240s on Gumtree fairly often in that price range, yep. Sounds like what I should be after then. Although if I find an Evolution Aqua or one of the other larger ones for a good price I'd obviously snap it up! At least you and I are shopping in different parts of the country and not competing for the same bargains :lol:

If I ever buy a house, I'm making sure I can fit a beast of a tank in there 🤣
LOL, that's easy to say when you're a teen! When I was a kid, I was determined I'd have a swimming pool and room for a horse when I was grown and had my own house. Once you're grown and having to actually pay for all the things involved, you soon change your priorities and get your aspirations in perspective... ;)

I'd be really scared of a sump system too! I just don't get how they work, lol! I know they mean increased water volume and more media storage etc, I just think I'd mess it up somehow and flood the place lol.

Awesome, I've seen the Fluval 200 and 240s on Gumtree fairly often in that price range, yep. Sounds like what I should be after then. Although if I find an Evolution Aqua or one of the other larger ones for a good price I'd obviously snap it up! At least you and I are shopping in different parts of the country and not competing for the same bargains :lol:
I've contemplated travelling haha! I saw a great ND Aquatics on in Nottingham for £300, it looked 4 foot on photos but when I asked it was 3 foot :(

The best description of a sump I've heard is on MD's latest video in the shop with Fish Shop Matt. They are looking at a sump tank and it has a weir at the top - which is just a hole in the back of the tank that water falls through. And I what I took away was so long as there is always room in the sump for the water between the top of the waterline and the bottom of the weir it will never overflow because sumps dont pump the water out the tank just back in so there is a maximum amount of water than will drain should the pump ever turn off in a powercut etc. You can get an Evolution Aqua Marine for 300-400 but if you want the aquascaper of freshwater they are more in the 600-800 region and at that sort of cost I'd just go for a new tank. I got a cost from ND the other day for a regular tank 4x2x18 on a nice stand with no hood and it was coming out about £650ish.

I've contemplated travelling haha! I saw a great ND Aquatics on in Nottingham for £300, it looked 4 foot on photos but when I asked it was 3 foot :(

If you come down this far for a tank, then you're a madman, but let me know if you do and I'll buy you a pint, even if you gazump a fish tank from me :p ;) :lol:

It would be less of a bargain tank when you take petrol costs into it though! lol

LOL, that's easy to say when you're a teen! When I was a kid, I was determined I'd have a swimming pool and room for a horse when I was grown and had my own house. Once you're grown and having to actually pay for all the things involved, you soon change your priorities and get your aspirations in perspective... ;)
Definitely... But I don't have huge dreams like a pool 🤣... I just want one nice space for a large tank. Now this is all if I have the funds for it lol.
But yah I have a feeling it may go down the drain.
Hopefully not though!

Definitely... But I don't have huge dreams like a pool 🤣... I just want one nice space for a large tank. Now this is all if I have the funds for it lol.
But yah I have a feeling it may go down the drain.
Hopefully not though!

A big tank is definitely more manageable than a pool and room for a pony, for sure ;) Don't give up on your dreams though! You never know :D

A big tank is definitely more manageable than a pool and room for a pony, for sure ;) Don't give up on your dreams though! You never know :D
Yah. I've heard really large tanks don't need water changes... Idk if that's true but I'm all in if so! I think it's cause it's actually hooked up to the home plumbing and you add in dechlorinator ever so often.
It definitely seems more manageable than a pool. All the weird chemicals and making sure it's drained for winter. All the cleaning... Just get me an aquarium please 😂

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back