Soaking Used Tank In Bleach

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
Well I have tried alot of things on my tank but nothing seems to work. Since I am bust for the next day or 2 would filling the tank up with with bleach and water then letting it sit for half a day to a day maybe clean it up? I tried some toilet cleaner, let it sit for a min and wipe it off and that did nothing. If this does not work I will try CLR which is one of the toughest toilet cleaners around on it. I really want to get this tank going.
 
Well I have tried alot of things on my tank but nothing seems to work. Since I am bust for the next day or 2 would filling the tank up with with bleach and water then letting it sit for half a day to a day maybe clean it up? I tried some toilet cleaner, let it sit for a min and wipe it off and that did nothing. If this does not work I will try CLR which is one of the toughest toilet cleaners around on it. I really want to get this tank going.

you need an acid compound, lol not an alkaline one. lemon juice, white vinegar or the like will do the trick. needs a bit of elbow grease though.
 
I used baking soda and Vinegar and scrubbed for a half hour and it didn't make any difference.
 
Use vinegar to get rid of it, and baking powder on a sponge is great for giving all of the glass a good buff, as it's slightly abrasive. Helps get of any green dust algae and the like that may have encrusted onto the tank.
 
I rubbed the glass walls for a half our with vinegar as after that tried t with baking soda and neither worked.
 
Got a razor blade style scraper? keep the calcified areas moist and attack it with one of those. Might need a bit more brute force than just vinegar ;) Also, it helps to be able to leave the vinegar to soak in/dissolve the calcium if possible.
 
There is a limescale removal product on the uk market called lime-lite. it is basically a limescale remover for sinks and stainless steel kitchen fittings. There must be something like that ypu could possibley use.

Just make sure you wash it all off....

...try your local pharmacy or wine makers... you might be able to buy some citric acid crystals (same acid as found in lemons etc, but highly concentrated).

dissolve a few crystals in a bit of water in a cup, then use a "cotton bud" or similar to wipe the affected area with it. You should see bubbles as the acid dissolves the alkali (limescale)

Vinegar (acetic acid - tho spelling is probably wrong) is diluted for human consumption, so although it smells strong, its actually quite weak.
 
Go with the CLR. If that doesn't work try Sno-Bowl toilet bowl cleaner. It is concentrated hydrochloric acid, if you don't plan on using the proper protective gear don't try using it.
 
lemon juice is very good. White Vinegar also, despite the comments made, is more often used for cleaning than human consumption. Acetic acid,(97%) if you can find it, will work best of all the, none commercial, cleaners. just keep it off your silicone.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top