So, Guppies?

Danios are shoaling fish so they need to be in a group. They are also very fast swimming fish and need a tank at least 3 feet long.
Guppies are not particularly fast swimmers - those long tails slow them down. But I would not keep guppies in 6 gallons. They need a tank with a minimum footprint of 18 x 12 inches.
In 6 gallons I would keep only a single betta or shrimps.

"Guppies are hard water fish. If you have soft water they won't live as long as they should."

Just read your post again, I better check this out before I get any more excited thank you very much

"Guppies are hard water fish. If you have soft water they won't live as long as they should."

Just read your post again, I better check this out before I get any more excited thank you very much
Yes, please do your research. @WinterSoldier. Has guppy’s ask him what some of the equipment he uses/tank setup ideas. ;)

Danios are shoaling fish so they need to be in a group. They are also very fast swimming fish and need a tank at least 3 feet long.
Guppies are not particularly fast swimmers - those long tails slow them down. But I would not keep guppies in 6 gallons. They need a tank with a minimum footprint of 18 x 12 inches.
In 6 gallons I would keep only a single betta or shrimps.
Oh no!
I guess that puts an end to my grand idea,
Plus I'm not sure about the hardness of my water at this point.

I'll just clarify if anyone's interested and then hopefully get some other suggestions.
I love my Danio, "Lollypop."
I never thought I would get a "glo" fish,
But he had been alone by himself in a tank for a while at my LFS. There were several of the small Ottos(?) but it was the only Danio.
So I took him home. The guy at the fish store said he would be okay with my White Cloud Mountain Minnows. It seemed to me like he was stressing them out and since they were doing so well I removed Lollypop and put him in a 5 gallon with a Mystery Snail. I'm going to have an empty 5 or 6 gallon and I'm just trying to work something out something.

I would love any suggestions because it's still basically one Danio!

"Yes, please do your research"

Thanks, I made a mistake with some tetras and now this "What to do with Lollypop" dilemma. The store said they would take him or her back but it's been a while now and I've become quite fond of Lollypop.
I guess I'll ask them again they have some more GloFish although I didn't see any like mine.
Lesson learned, the hard way.

Oh yes ;) I know about guppies I have bred them, both wild and domestic strains. Oh yes
I don't want a lot of them, that's why I never got any although I thought they were SO beautiful and came in such a variety, but I kept hearing that they breed like crazy and that is not my goal.
I'm just looking for a friend or 2 for Lollypop!

"Yes, please do your research"

Thanks, I made a mistake with some tetras and now this "What to do with Lollypop" dilemma. The store said they would take him or her back but it's been a while now and I've become quite fond of Lollypop.
I guess I'll ask them again they have some more GloFish although I didn't see any like mine.
Lesson learned, the hard way.
As hard as it maybe for you, it would be best taking Lollypop back to the store. They really do need to be in a group of their own and unfortuntely your tanks not big enough to house 6+ danios. Their very active fish and need plenty of swim space.

Like Essjay mentioned a 6 gallon can only really house a single betta or some shrimps

As hard as it maybe for you, it would be best taking Lollypop back to the store. They really do need to be in a group of their own and unfortuntely your tanks not big enough to house 6+ danios. Their very active fish and need plenty of swim space.

Like Essjay mentioned a 6 gallon can only really house a single betta or some shrimps
I know about keeping Bettas, I've had a few and always put them in 5 or 6 gallon (which is an odd size), with only snails.
I once had a betta that lived almost 3 years and looking back I realize I had it in a 3 gallon tank with plastic plants I have no idea how that happened but I sure was lucky
I think you might be right about returning Lollypop. What will they do with he/she?

I really don't ever want a group of danios they're a little too spastic for me, although I have always admired zebra danios!

I guess I wish I hadn't got a fish just because I felt sorry for it.

Last edited:
I don't want a lot of them, that's why I never got any although I thought they were SO beautiful and came in such a variety, but I kept hearing that they breed like crazy and that is not my goal.
I'm just looking for a friend or 2 for Lollypop!

You can avoid this by either having all males or all virgin females. I personally kept males most of the time. If you don't want babies choose one gender

You can avoid this by either having all males or all virgin females. I personally kept males most of the time. If you don't want babies choose one gender
Well I'm new to the Hobby and I never realized it was so easy to sex them or I might have already set up a tank with them.

And don't even try I'm not getting another tank!

Avoid keeping them with bettas. The Betta will associate the bright colors of the males tales, as the bright colors of another bettas fins. :)

Well I'm new to the Hobby and I never realized it was so easy to sex them or I might have already set up a tank with them.

And don't even try I'm not getting another tank!

Great elephants man! Have you even looked in to sexing guppies? Its incredibly easy! Heres a general rule of thumb. Males are brightly colored females are usually grayish. Unless you get fancy females and even then its easy. I will write an in depth post later for you!!! Just look up female vs male guppy and you'll see how easy it is. And yes, one way or another you are going to get another tank. It WILL happen eventually ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back