Snails Ok On Sand?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GlidergirlUK

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Im changing from gravel to sand at the weekend and am having a mild panic! I am sure I read somewhere (knowing me I dreamt it!) that common pond snails struggle with sand. Is this true or am I just going mad!?

They will be fine there speed is reduced on sand but they are fine to live on it.

my snails seem to have adjusted well to the change, i don't think they really care one way or the other, as long as they get food they are happy.

Only thing I've noticed is that it's a bit hard for them to right themselves if they fall over, but they still can. They'll be fine.

Nice to see someone who likes snails. :lol:

I changed my gravel to sand recently. if you need any pointers on how to do this then feel free to ask

Thanks guys, I think I am sorted on the how to side of things....but you never know when it actually comes to it!

I do like my snails...but they do go into my puffer tank as food as well!

i love snails aswell and enjoy my ramshorns and pond snails i have in my hex tank - (only tank they are in in greater numbers) and now encouraging them to breed again as been selling them to mother in laws friends with ponds - now spring is here they want the snails ;)
They are lovely to ;)

I have a Zebra Nerite and a Ruby Nerite snail in my tank with sand and they seem fine, though my trumpet snails seem to love it the most :)

if youve got sand in you might want to consider buying some trumpet snails as they realy help to maintain the quality of the sand

Are trumpet snails easily identified next to pond snails as I wouldnt want to feed them to my puffers as their shells are too hard for them?

Yeah MTS have a spiral shell which is quite pointed and PS have the short stout shell. Both of them are "pests" personally don't think you need to add the MTS as they will just overpopulate the tank and serve no purpose as the gases that build up in the sand are poisonous until they make contact with oxygen and low and behold water dissolves oxygen ;) so you already have oxygen enriched environment in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back