Snail To Eat Algea In A 5G Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

miwreece

Reaction score
In my 5g betta tank there has been alot of algea growing, i do try to get rid of it by cleaning all of the decorations in the tank and the glass and it just seems to be growing back within afew days. I would really like a snail in my tank, what snail shall i get that does not have babies with itself?

Nerite snails can't reproduce in fresh water, they will lay eggs but they won't hatch

You can get nerite snails, and if you don't want to see the eggs, try and search for a male one, they should be identifiable with the skin fold they have vs females not having one. Good luck with that tho.

Apple snails/mystery snails are also a good choice they get rather large but they dont reproduce without a male and female present and even if they would happen to lay eggs they lay them in large clutchs which are very easy to spot as they are always above the waterline with most available species. I have a full grown one in my 5g has lived with a betta and some neons very peacefully. I like them personally cause they grt larger so you can see them better and their faces and such like the weird little breathing arm they use to breath off the surface plus they live for a while
:)

Did you get something yet?

I have a horned nerite with my betta and the snail is small and very busy all the time.  I'm seeing some great process on the algae. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back