Snail recommendations?

Mystery snails lay eggs above the water level. They lay a lot of eggs at a time (100+) and can overrun a tank in a very short time. Nerite snails can't breed in freshwater, so they will never overrun your tank. :)
Yes but mystery snail are not asexual so if you only have one there is no problem

I think the mysteries breeding won't be an issue as long as you remove the egg clutches, which should be easy to do. The eggs don't look very pleasing though lol.

P.S. Apparently nerite eggs are harder to remove.

I think the mysteries breeding won't be an issue as long as you remove the egg clutches, which should be easy to do. The eggs don't look very pleasing though lol.

P.S. Apparently nerite eggs are harder to remove.
That's a myth. They are super easy to remove of your glass with an algae scraper or your finger nail. ;)

I dunno my single mystery did a great job in my 25 gallon with lots of slgae

That's a myth. They are super easy to remove of your glass with an algae scraper or your finger nail. ;)
I think the glass won't be an issue but I've heard multiple nerite keepers complain about stuff like driftwood, plants... Stuff like that.
From what I've gathered most peeps just get them off of the glass and leave everything else alone. Correct me if I'm wrong though :)

I think the glass won't be an issue but I've heard multiple nerite keepers complain about stuff like driftwood, plants... Stuff like that.
From what I've gathered most peeps just get them off of the glass and leave everything else alone. Correct me if I'm wrong though :)
You're right :)

Mystery snails lay eggs above the water level. They lay a lot of eggs at a time (100+) and can overrun a tank in a very short time. Nerite snails can't breed in freshwater, so they will never overrun your tank. :)
It seems by I’m going with nerite snails I think

My nerite trys to climb out, but because of the rim on my tank, he can't. That's why I like that brand of tank so well.

Willbacon won't be able to get mystery snails, or indeed any species of Pomacea, as he lives in the UK. The EU banned the import and spreading of all apple snails a few years ago and the law still applies in the UK until the government get round to repealing it, if the ever do.

I know that Maidenhead Aquatics sells things like rabbit snails as well as nerites, and there's always Ebay.

That's interesting @essay. I didn't realize the EU banned apple snails. Was it because people were dumping their extras in public waterways?

One species of apple snail, Pomacea insularum, was found in a river in Spain several years ago, so because the EU operates a one size fits all policy, all species of Pomacea snails were banned throughout the EU including countries that are too cold for them to survive.

They were also going to ban the import of aquarium plants from countries where the plants were likely to have eggs or baby snails on them, but in the end settled for only allowing imports from these countries provided the plants were treated with snail killing chemicals. For this reason, those of us who want to keep snails of other species and shrimps have to be very careful about buying plants. Only those grown in the EU, and in vitro plants are safe for shrimps and snails. If the plants come from outside the EU they could wipe out a tank of shrimps.

That makes sense on the plants. At least the EU was being careful to protect the environment. :good:

One species of apple snail, Pomacea insularum, was found in a river in Spain several years ago, so because the EU operates a one size fits all policy, all species of Pomacea snails were banned throughout the EU including countries that are too cold for them to survive.

They were also going to ban the import of aquarium plants from countries where the plants were likely to have eggs or baby snails on them, but in the end settled for only allowing imports from these countries provided the plants were treated with snail killing chemicals. For this reason, those of us who want to keep snails of other species and shrimps have to be very careful about buying plants. Only those grown in the EU, and in vitro plants are safe for shrimps and snails. If the plants come from outside the EU they could wipe out a tank of shrimps.
Yeah it’s all banned I looked up after, feel like 2 berries will be perfect

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back