Snail recommendations?

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I havenā€™t seen much spoken about snails so think maybe typing this is a waste of tiem for you reading! Iā€™ve got a shrimp only tank which is a 20L and in a few weeks Iā€™m planning on adding some snails, as feel any other creatures in the tank would eat the fry. Do any of you have any suggestions? My water is hard and Ph around 7.2. I was considering zebra nerite snails due to the fact they wonā€™t overpopulate the tank needing salt water to reproduce but have also heard they constantly look for ways out the tank. Any other recommendations or thoughts for tank Mates would be great

They are good snails, they are the ones I bought at the LFS the others are hitchhikers. I capture and release the pond snails into my RES turtle tank whenever they get to be too many. The ramshorn snail also do a good job.

Mystery snail!

Nerite snails are your best option. I have had these before and they are very hardy and are good at getting rid of algae.

Nerite snails are your best option. I have had these before and they are very hardy and are good at getting rid of algae.
Dont you still have them???

I technically only have one now... why do you ask?
I was just confused haha cause you said you had (one) in the other thread but on this one said you used to. No big deal, just confused

I was just confused haha cause you said you had (one) in the other thread but on this one said you used to. No big deal, just confused
Oh, lol. I used to have 3, but I gave 2 to my LFS before my big move. I kept the one, because it was my oldest and I wanted to keep it. :)

I think the zebras will do fine. Haha I hear mixed opinions on whether they climb out or not... Apparently mysteries don't climb out but then wait they do? And nerites climb out all the time but aren't likely to? And on and on.
I have never kept snails but I would personally go with a nerite :)

Oh, lol. I used to have 3, but I gave 2 to my LFS before my big move. I kept the one, because it was my oldest and I wanted to keep it. :)
Thanks for me the main thing I donā€™t want is overpopulation so automatically nerite became my first option donā€™t know about mystery snail breeding

Thanks for me the main thing I donā€™t want is overpopulation so automatically nerite became my first option donā€™t know about mystery snail breeding
Mystery snails lay eggs above the water level. They lay a lot of eggs at a time (100+) and can overrun a tank in a very short time. Nerite snails can't breed in freshwater, so they will never overrun your tank. :)

Most reactions

trending

Back