Snail Problem :(

TheSims3Dude

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
798
Reaction score
2
Points
0
I have a major snail problem, I've had some solution stuff to kill them, but it requires me to take out the carbon in the filter, and unfortunately, when I bought a new filter, the carbon and the other stuff is a 3-in-1 filter, so I can't take the carbon out, cuz the whole filter would have to be removed, I've just been picking them out one-by-one, but they seem to keep multiplying too fast for me to keep up with! Any suggestions on what I could do? Are there any natural ways to get rid of these darn snails?





/\
\/ 3
 
What types of snail are they and what fish do you ahve in your tank?

Most cichlids and botia loaches will happily eat all sorts of snails!
 
the guy i bought my tank from had a snail problem and he picked up brown kuhlie loaches and he said they ate them all. he only got 2 but they multiplied pretty quickly so now i have quite a few in there.
 
Find someone on here with dwarf puffers - I'm sure they'll readily take them off your hands! If you give me a few weeks I'll have mine up and running and then you can send me all the snails you like :)
 
If you use solutions to kill snails off, you will need to do a good gravel vac and water change more often as the dead snails will polute the tank.

I cant get enough snails lol
 
Lol, no kidding, I cleaned them out 2 days ago (about 50-60 of em!) and yesterday when I went to clean the tank, there was at least 40 again! :crazy:
lol, I found some solution that I could use, so I shall see if it works or not, don't worry about my cleaning the gravel thoroughly (or how ever you spell it, heh) I clean my tank once a week and I do it extremely well, so it shall be good, but thanks guys! I don't know if you care, but if you want, I can let you guys know if the snails go away,.... lol
 
Buy Assasin Snails. I have 4 of them and i never see a pest snail anymore. they completely control them.

Plus the assasin snails look nice
 
heres what i would do

boil a leaf of lettuce

leve in the tank overnight... take it out in the morning.... most the snails will be on it

lol i have 3 tanks..

one with 3 khulis

one with dps

one with synodontis multis....

so im happy to take snails...

lol
 
im sure if you search the forum you will find diffrent ways without chemicals
seem to remember something about using lettuce ? overnight ang lifting it out in the morning
 
I just came back from the store, I bought a clown loach, the guy said that should help, although they get big he said...
 
clown loaches are shoaling fish and should be kept i groups. they sure eat snails though, but I'd get more or return it and get a smaller loaches...

what size tank do you have?
 
I have a 20 gallon I beleive, but it's kinda wide, they only had clown loaches at the store, so unfortunately I had to get that kind, all-though, I already notice a difference in the snails, (the small ones at least) and it's only been a couple hours.. lol, He's about 3-3 1/2 inches long right now... In my tank, how much bigger will he get do you think?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top