Snail identification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sophs

Reaction score
hello, im new to all this, I recently got some plants for r my tropical tank, after a week I have noticed a mass influx of snails!!! I've never had snails before... so I assume they smuggled in on the plants... trouble is I don't know what kI d of snail they are... anyone any ideas?? Xx

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    705.9 KB · Views: 156
Looks like common pond snails, also known as 'pest' snails. Nothing wrong with them. Their population will explode when the tank is overfed. Keep your feedings small and they won't be very noticeable.

Free fish food, If you are not squeamish pick one or 2 up and squish them between your fingers and drop them back in the tank, I have yet to see an omnivore fish refuse fresh snail.

Welcome to TFF!

I am not 100% sure because the picture is not the best for identification, but I would asume it to be bladder snails. Just google for those.

Here is TFF's snail guide if you find any more or want extra information on them. :)

Free fish food, If you are not squeamish pick one or 2 up and squish them between your fingers and drop them back in the tank, I have yet to see an omnivore fish refuse fresh snail.
I've been testing to see if you can make them into some sort of flake or pellet food. My fish never eat straight up de-shelled snails. I took a handful ( I have so many of these things). crushed them up, put them on a small tray and let them dry then crushed them up even more. Fish love it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back