Snail Eaters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SuperColey1

Planted Section
Reaction score
I have had problems with snails now for about 2 months since getting an infested plant.

I use KingBritish Anti Snail and thought it had eliminated them. I couldn't see any snails for a while after I finished 2 courses over 8 days, but 1 or 2 always seem to survive. I haven't been adding anything else to the tank to introduce fresh hitch hikers or anything so they must just be surviving.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a fish that will eat the snails as and when they appear, bearing in mind my tank and current occupants.

My tank is L30" x D15" x H18" I think it is 125 Ltr

My Fish are 2 common plecs (rehoming in 2 weeks so ignore these)
1 male betta
2 black mollies
1 silver balloon mollie

The tank is planted so don't want any plant eaters

I am also planning on getting some Neons in the next couple of months so would prefer a non Neon eater

I can recommend Bengal Loaches (botia dario), they like to be in groups, and 3 should be fine in your tank :nod: I kept 3 in a 24" tank for a while. give them places to hide though like caves or bogwood to get under and give them a few places.

They will destroy "mystery snails", they will keep ramshorns under control, but never seem to wipe them out, but they will not touch malasian trumpet snails :no: most community fish wont :no:

Arfie

I did some research after my son had a snail problem. What I read was that yoyo loaches were apparently the best but several other species of loach would also do the trick. I have a feeling that crabs might also eat snails.

King British "Snail Killer" my ar..
Did nothing for me. Did not even 'knock them out'.

The problem with snails is the damn eggs they lay (oh, & the fact that they can infest your filters).

Try some of this stuff:
'Flubenol 15' from here: http://www.flubenol.co.uk/ (Note: apparently you cannot 'overdose' on this stuff).

You must do 4 courses, once a week (then a large >50% water change) for a month to kill them all (I think the gestation period of the eggs is 20 days).

Say "goodbye snails".....

Andy

PS
Clown Loaches are touted as the ultimate snail-eater but need a large tank (min grouping of 6, 12"-14" long!)
A smaller snail busting version is (as FenWoman suggests) the Yoyo Loach - smaller and OK in min grouping of 3 hence can suit a much smaller tank. Unfortunately they aren't the most commonly available of fish out there....

I've had good results with Botia striata (zebra or candy striped loach). Attractive and stay small enough for your tank, 3 would be fine.

I've no experience with anti-snail treatments so can't comment, except most are copper-based so a no-no if you have shrimp. Look out for ammonia spikes too if there's a mass die-off.

How aggressive are these other loaches? The bengals, yoyos, and zebras?

A long time ago, I had red-finned loaches; I was snail-free, but they became extremely aggressive and became the only fish in the tank. Plus, I got stabbed with their eye-spine twice when I rehomed them... not-so-great memories for me and loaches.

I can only speak for the Bengals, they spend most of their time either huddled together as if they love each other or shoving each other around like squabbling siblings (the RTBS joins in too) :rolleyes: they don't even intimidate the small peppered corys and even the tiniest of fish like the male endlers are never touched. Better yet, they don't eat my apple snails :)

I was told that yoyo loaches can be aggressive which is why I didn't buy them in the first place, the lfs had them in and they were dearer than the bengals, but they talked me into the bengals and I'm happy with them.

Personally I wouldn't use medication, mainly because of what George said about them all dying off and polluting the tank potentially causing a spike, I also don't like adding chemicals unless they are necessary. besides, the loaches are fun to watch :fun:

Arfie

Iv become the snail master in the last 2 weeks. I had the same problem you did. I got some melon plant for my tank that was infected with physidae. So far I havnt had much luck getting rid of them. I would say that a clown loach is your best bet to rid you of your snail problem. I try my best not to use any chemicals that could possibly hurt my lil buddies :D The reason your snail killer didnt work is becouse it probably got rid of the snails and not the eggs wich by this time are all over your tank and in the filter. I found that the best way for me to control their little snail population is by controlling the amount of excess food in the tank. If the snails have nothing to eat they cant reproduce :p Less food = less snails. I have had no luck with this but you can try to use a cucumber and pull them out in the morning. I just pull them out by hand when i do water changes :/ Good luck. I believe my thread on snails is still here. you can check it out since theirs alot of good info on it

-popov

I don't think you should advise me to use Clown Loaches as they like to be in groups and they will get too big for my tank.

Reason for asking on here was I would rather have a natural way of getting rid of the snails and if a fish can do it why not. rather than polluting my water on purpose with copper based chemicals.

Thanks for the help anyway. I think I'll look into Bengals

There will be other's that may fit :nod:

Here's a pic of one of mine, I don't know what it was up to, but it looks guilty :lol: The colours are much more vibrant than they appear on here, I just can't get a decent pic of them.

index.jpg

Arfie

I like this fish a lot. I've had a look on some other sites for pics just before you posted yours and they look really pretty and the comments made on other forums are all positive, so thanks for the suggestion.

I think I've found my new snail control unit that actually looks pretty and sounds fun to watch as well.

Sorry I was so harsh about the clown loach suggestion, it's just that a lot of people suggest these to people without thinking about their potential size and social needs.

I've seen a lot of tanks with 2 bored clowns.

By Feb this should be my new stock list (I am rehoming the 2 common plecs in 2 weeks and I am assuming that the white silver molly is nearing the end of her days)

1 x Red Betta Splendens
3 x Black sailfin mollies (1m, 1f) I think i might get another female yet
4 x Bengal (Queen) Loaches (New)
2 x King Stripe Plecs (L066) (New)
10 x Neon Tetra (New)

I'm waiting for my plants to grow a little more before I get any more fish, but the bengals might have to come in to help that out due to plant eating snails.lol

Really great info for me on this thread! :good: Thanks Arfie for the info about your bengal loaches... tempting.

everyone says clowns need to be in big groups but just how was this idea founded? I have just two and there both perfectly happy and healthy. Granted when i had just on it was the most misserable fish in the world

I THINK Flubenol 15 is the only snail killer that I've come across that is not copper based.

This is why I have recommended it.

I am no chemist - just researched it a bit (a la Google). So, if anyone comes along and says 'Andy mate, dude you're spouting crap as usual', then so be it. :rolleyes: If this happens then my trap will be firmly shut with regards to recommending it in the future....

Andy

I like this fish a lot. I've had a look on some other sites for pics just before you posted yours and they look really pretty and the comments made on other forums are all positive, so thanks for the suggestion.

I think I've found my new snail control unit that actually looks pretty and sounds fun to watch as well.

Sorry I was so harsh about the clown loach suggestion, it's just that a lot of people suggest these to people without thinking about their potential size and social needs.

I've seen a lot of tanks with 2 bored clowns.

By Feb this should be my new stock list (I am rehoming the 2 common plecs in 2 weeks and I am assuming that the white silver molly is nearing the end of her days)

1 x Red Betta Splendens
3 x Black sailfin mollies (1m, 1f) I think i might get another female yet
4 x Bengal (Queen) Loaches (New)
2 x King Stripe Plecs (L066) (New)
10 x Neon Tetra (New)

I'm waiting for my plants to grow a little more before I get any more fish, but the bengals might have to come in to help that out due to plant eating snails.lol

Not a problem :good: Just read more throughly next time as I just said "they are the best bet for getting rid of snails" IMHO. I never advised that you should get one. I did read your tank size befor i posted that comment and saw that it was to small. I was simply making a note of their capbilities. Im sorry if i was unclear. :look:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back