Small Schooling Species For Community Tank.

Ally555

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
419
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Australia
I am looking for a smallish tetra species for my community tank. I currently have neons but today I noticed that they were being hunted by my angelfish. I never had any problems with the angel and neons before but now the angel fish is trying to catch them. I need something a little larger than neons (not angelfish snack size) but not to big. I also wanted something kinda colourful, because my neons gave a bit of extra colour to the tank and I think without them it may be a little dull.

Thanks in advance for your help.
 
Black neons are big enough to survive angelfish predation. So are rummy nose and rasboras.
 
I am looking for a smallish tetra species for my community tank. I currently have neons but today I noticed that they were being hunted by my angelfish. I never had any problems with the angel and neons before but now the angel fish is trying to catch them. I need something a little larger than neons (not angelfish snack size) but not to big. I also wanted something kinda colourful, because my neons gave a bit of extra colour to the tank and I think without them it may be a little dull.

Thanks in advance for your help.

how big is your tank?
 
I like the look of rummynose, but I heard that they aren't very hardy. ???

My tank is 90 something litres. I'll check now.
 
90 litres ??/ is that big enough for angels thinking of putting a couple in my 110

um red phantom tetras
 
Anyone know about the rummynose tetras?

Thanks for the suggestions matchstickman47 but aren't cardinals too small. They are about the sia\ze of neons. And after quickly researching melan barbs and rosy barbs I found out that they grow to around 15cm (not my idea of small). But thanks for your help anyway.
 
cherry barbs would fit your criteria. they don't pass 2'', are colourful, and shouldn't get terrorized by angels.
 
I'll definately think about Cherry Barbs they have nice colours. So I guess nobody knows anything about rummy nose tetras???

Just wondering if any of the tetra species (apart from neons of course) are blue, or have a fair amount of blue on them? I think thats what I like about them. They brings some different colours into the tank which are not on many other fish.
 
"how tall is the tank if you want angels it needs to be 18 inches from the substrate to the water line"
-42cm

I don't mind black skirt tetras and I quite like glowlight tetras.
Are rummynose tetras hardy or not? I have heard that they are not. ???
 
"rummynose tetras are one of the moist sensitive species of tetra"
that's what I though. So I guess they probably wouldn't be the best choice. ??? Would glowlight tetras be better?

"you wouldnt be able to have angels"
42cm from substrate to water line. How big is that in inches? I'll check now.

Edit: I checked. It is 16.5 inches. I was told that angels would be okay in my tank. ???
Oh and there is 1 angel.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top