Small asian fish

Theoneandonly

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 24 inch long tank with 2 dwarf gouramis in it at the moment and am planning what else to keep , i am probably going to get a siamese fighting fish,anything else I can keep in it or invertabrates like shrimp or crabs or any small shoalers?

Any input would be appreciated

Any crabs you get would go for any bottom-feeders.

If you want to get a siamese fighting fish then avoid anything else that has long fins, as one of them will get beat up. Avoid tiger barbs as they are fairly aggressive.

Perhaps you could get a pair or trio of small corydoras, or a small upside-down catfish.

In my first ever tank I had a betta, cherry & golden barbs. One of the barbs literally ate my betttas fins overnight. Never worked out if it was the cherry or the golden barbs though. :sad:

I think some barbs with the gouramis would be lovely, but I wouldn't recommend putting a betta in with gouramis. The gouramis and the betta both want to be the prettiest fish in the tank. ;)

Hi Theoneandonly

I wouldn't recomend Bettas (Siamese Fighters) and Dwarf Gouramis, we tried that combo and had nothing but troubles. The Betta mistook the
gouramies as other Bettas and was constantly harrassing them (to the point of taking out one of their eyes)
For a small asian fish what about a few Botia's (Maybe Dario, or Striata) they are entertaining and peaceful

Thomas A. Anderson said:
In my first ever tank I had a betta, cherry & golden barbs. One of the barbs literally ate my betttas fins overnight. Never worked out if it was the cherry or the golden barbs though. :sad:
SHould be the golden barbs....golden barbs are similar to Rosy and tiger barbs...though less aggressive, but from what I know its also tend to nip fishes with long fins.....Other peaceful fishes u can try are the Zebra danios( lively and active most of the time and will not bother about other fishes...they tend to school so get at least 6 of them), Cherry barbs( the most shy and peaceful barbs in the barb family, small and looks great....do not tend to school though...get at least 6 - 8 if u want), Emperor/Black Tetra( they are peaceful tetras that u can consider adding..most tetras are peaceful anyway), Harlequin, pencil fish, minnows etc are also good choices....

Thomas A. Anderson said:
My cherries have been victims of fin-nippers, but I've never seen them attack another fish. I can't imagine them attacking another fish! Gold barbs are also not known for being vicious. Perhaps your betta had some kind of fin-rot?

[quote name='Flippin'thing bit me eye' date='Sep 20 2003, 11:19 PM']Crikey surely not the cherry's they're shy little things :eek: But if you dont wish to risk that try a shoal of pencil fish, I think they are fascinating as far as little fish go[/quote]
Good suggestion about the pencilfish, but do remember they need a well cycled tank and regular water changes. Stick to Beckford's Golden Pencilfish - other species are much harder to get hold of and much more delicate. Beckfords are also mid-water swimmers, which may be useful.

My betta killed my male dwarf gourami overnight :-( but he now lives in peace with sailfin mollies and loads of bottom dwellers - cories, loaches, gobi dragons and others

Most reactions

Back