Slow growing plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Snaillover90

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a 10 gal bow front aquarium. I hage a visouvis(sp) sword, a crypt, and 2 others im not sure of. And red root floater.
In the tank is 3 endlers (2 more in a few weeks). Small pleco, sonic the betta and a mystery snail. The plants seem to be doing well, but not really growing like I thought (except the red root). Is there something I should be adding? Also I have a bit of hair algae. Which I'm getting rid of slowly w my new tank cleaner.
Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_010751_250.jpg
    IMG_20210924_010751_250.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20210924_010751_273.jpg
    IMG_20210924_010751_273.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 48
Glad it's not just me, lol some seem to be melting, others are doing great but not getting bigger, I just want to make sure they aren't stressed... I may look for a Java fern.. where as my my small tank at work is almost overgrown and I don't baby it like I do this one. ( obviously I take care of it too, but I unfortunately don't have access to it on sat and Sunday.
Dies anyone have reccomendations as to what can help my plants that won't mess up tank parameters, as im finally balanced!!!

Java fern is great! Just get the appropriate size! They dont go crazy like java moss..Also since you have a tall tank, try searching for taller plants!

In the first photo, the plant on the right is Anubias. Make sure the rhizome is not buried, it can rot. Best to attach this plant to a chunk of wood or rock. The true roots (the fine black hairs) can find their way into the substrate or not, doesn't matter, but not the rhizome. The left plant is a crypt. I cannot see the plant behind the wood well enough to ascertain what it is.

Anubias and crypts are slow growers. A comprehensive supplement might be helpful, but don't expect rapid growth. As you are in the US, two good fertilizers are Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium, and Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. Only either of these two, not the other products in the Flourish or Florin line.

Ahhh ok! The one in the back is a visouvis sword and it's doing better! As far as the anubius, it's allreadt decently rooted, should I move it? If so how would I attach it? And I got the seachem flourish tabs. Are those ok? I saw only a tiny amount of copper, ans don't want to hurt my snail

Ahhh ok! The one in the back is a visouvis sword and it's doing better! As far as the anubius, it's allreadt decently rooted, should I move it? If so how would I attach it? And I got the seachem flourish tabs. Are those ok? I saw only a tiny amount of copper, ans don't want to hurt my snail

As long as the Anubias rhizome is not buried it should be OK. These plants can be attached to wood or rock by carefully wedging the rhizome in a crevice, or with black cotton thread or fishing line. Some use waterproof glue.

Flourish Tabs are good for the sword, and maybe the crypt. Won't do anything for the Anubias. There is not enough of the heavy metals (copper, iron, zinc, manganese) in quality fertilizers like the Seachem to harm invertebrates, unless you way over dose them. One tab next to the roots, replaced every three months, is all you need.

The plants seem to be doing well, but not really growing like I thought (except the red root).
All plants extract nutrients such as nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphate +9 others to grow. Since all are growing these nutrients might not be the problem although it wouldn't hurt to bost the nutrients levels with a fertilizer to serif it would help. Note melting or dying plants is a good indication of a nutrient deficiency. But you are not seeing that.

There'd root floaters like all plants also need CO2 to grow. There'd root floaters can get alll the CO@ they need from the air. All your other plants extract CO2 dissolved in the water. So if your nutrients levels are OK you might not have enough CO2 in the water. Try adding a air stone attached to an air pump would help aerate the water which might help increase CO2 and oxygen levels in the water. Also the water outflow from the filter pump should cause a notable water current at the fop of the tank. water movement at the top of the tank would also help maintain CO2 and oxygen levels.

Ohhhhh, the filter I have hasn't been giving enough to the top for my liking. I just picked up a larger filter today that will definitely help that. Now, I do have an airstone, I can add, but was worried it would scare my betta (had a bad experience with a gourami,). That being said, should the airstone be ok for him?

Ohhhh ok! Thank you for the information! I am learning so much! I have a cholla wood tunnel and some rocks, would either of those be appropriate to attach it to? Or if now what is a good suggestion?

Most reactions

trending

Back