Slime On Aquarium Glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

yoruyongbpei

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I have this translucent slime film developing all across my aquarium glass you an really see it except for the little bubbles trapped around it, and I have orangish looking algae growing on my marine rock as well in the main tank, Is this something to be worried about? 

Without a photo I can't say for sure but it sounds like bacteria. The slime is a bacterial flocculant and the rust colored growth is likely cyanobacteria or diatoms. I would have to see to know which but likely the former. 

How old is the tank? Many tanks, especially marine tanks, go through a period I call, "the uglies" which occurs shortly after the cycle and normally goes away on its own with regular water changes. In an older tank however, this can mean a problem with nutrients like nitrate and to a lesser degree phosphates. 

An overgrowth of cyano can cause problems as it dies off it reduces the oxygen levels in the tank. Because of that I recommend that when you do water changes you also siphon out the cyano (if that's what it is). 

I have something similar to this in my cichlid tank. Diatoms are my issue.... maybe look unto that and see if it is what's going on with your tank.

tcamos said:
Without a photo I can't say for sure but it sounds like bacteria. The slime is a bacterial flocculant and the rust colored growth is likely cyanobacteria or diatoms. I would have to see to know which but likely the former. 

How old is the tank? Many tanks, especially marine tanks, go through a period I call, "the uglies" which occurs shortly after the cycle and normally goes away on its own with regular water changes. In an older tank however, this can mean a problem with nutrients like nitrate and to a lesser degree phosphates. 

An overgrowth of cyano can cause problems as it dies off it reduces the oxygen levels in the tank. Because of that I recommend that when you do water changes you also siphon out the cyano (if that's what it is). 
Thank you for your suggestion My tank is currently 2 months old, I have actually just done a 50 percent water chance, changed the carbon filters, added in the weekly dose of stresszyme, removed the marine rock and scrubbed it clean without soap of the rust colored growth, going to let it dry for a day before reintroducing it, the water seems to be alot better now, the film seems to have been eaten by my Borneo suckers so all is well once again thank you very much

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back