OK… I guess I can clean the glass once a year, weather it needs it or not…

Magnum Man34 148

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,640
Reaction score
6,889
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
OK, I’ll admit this looks so much clearer… this is my highly shaded tetra tank, and yes, I went at least a year, without cleaning the front glass… there was not really any algae on it, but it looks so much clearer, with the assorted bio film off the glass… now if I would get that heater turned around so the suction cups were to the glass, and get it hidden behind that vertical resin log, it would truly be a thing of beauty… oh well, they are never really done…
IMG_9336.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Spring has come, and there is no longer snow falling in that view. I wish it were that clear and bright in the real world outside my window...
That looks really good!

When I was in Benin there was a hairdresser's we drove by a few times, and it looks like that tank has gone to it. It was the Thank God Beauty Salon.
 
As to hiding the heater I've given up on suction cups. I position my heater horizontal using plastic wire ties to mount on air risers for my under gravel filtration. Even without under gravel filter risers it looks like there is plenty of stuff you could 'tie' the heater.

I like going horizontal with the heater as it drastically increases the heat column. When vertical the heat is in a column just a little wider than the width of the heater. Mount horizontal and the entire length of the heater's element make for a much wider heat column making for faster heat distribution. I don't really know if it actually makes a large difference but does, at least, make the heater easier to hide especially if mounted low in the tank. Mounting low, in my opinion, also makes for better heat distribution. Heat rises. Mounting low gives the heat more time to distribute as it rises. Seems to me that mounting a heater vertical or high in the tank makes the heater work harder as a lot of the heat is lost through surface agitation.
 
the only issue I have mounting them along the bottom, is the accumulation of mulm, so increased maintenance, as well as it seems I have a higher failure rate, with them mounted like that… now that I have a powerful vacuum, that may suck them cleaner, and as thus make them last longer???
 
the only issue I have mounting them along the bottom, is the accumulation of mulm, so increased maintenance, as well as it seems I have a higher failure rate, with them mounted like that… now that I have a powerful vacuum, that may suck them cleaner, and as thus make them last longer???
That seems odd that you get shorter heater life if mounted horizontal as I'd expect the opposite as the heater does not work as hard.

I DO overkill with heaters which could be a factor in longevity. Since I started doubling the recommended heater wattage for a tank, I can't remember ever having a heater fail if decent quality. For instance, for a 20-gallon tank, a 75-watt heater is often considered optimal, but I use 150 watts.

When I say to mount low, I don't mean right on the substrate but 2-3 inches above so mulm should not be a big issue.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top