Slime Algae

Poot

Reaction score
I have blue green algae spreading all over my tank, having read various articles and changed my lighting, i think it is due to a lack of nutrients for the plants (something about how i have to make phosphates the limiting factor). So can i just buy any old aquatic fertiliser. Does anyone in the UK know one i could buy that they would recommend.

Thanks

Poot

Blue green algae isn't normal algae - in fact, its closer to bacteria. It's kind of an infection of your tank and needs specific treatment.

You can either use antibiotic type meds to remove it (Interpet do a treatment) or keep the lights out for a fortnight.

wouldn't that kill my plants if i left the lights off for two weeks?

It's Cyanobacteria...

I've had it, and tried using Melafix to treat it, to no great effect, apart from limiting it's spread, it certainly didn't reduce it's growth.

Eurythromycin, a kind of anti-biotic is apparently used to great effect...

I have not tried it, and I need to do more research into it, just to make sure it will not kill all my plants and fish !!!...!!!

Anyway, if you use it, perhaps a post here would be usefull, and let me know how you get on...

Phosphate limitation... Oh dear, more research... Oh Well, I guess this is why I love this hobby so much... You never stop learning.

D.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back