Slime Algae Hmmm

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gaya

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,

haven't been here in forever! hope you're all well :)

So, I had this slime algae for about six months. It started in a 10g and then like a dumb as& I pulled some plants from that tank, cleaned them and put them in a 30g. This algae then appeared in my 30 (big surprise). I was too busy to break the tank down so I just kept up with water changes and removed the algae whenever I saw it. For the last 4 months I haven't seen any of this algea...don't know why because it's so hard to get rid of. Well, I have this huge, perty plant in the 30 and would like to transplant it to a new 55, which I've been meaning to set up for so long (maybe a year? who knows) but I certainly don't want to introduce blue/green slime algae to my new tank. Is it possible that this stuff just died out or is it just at bay for now?

thanks in advance :flowers:

from your description it sounds like BGA.. this is something you don't want to introduce to your other tank for sure. But at the same time I am wondering because BGA normally doesn't just go away and its very fast growing so i am still wondering if its really BGA. Anywho you can always dip your plants that you want in your 55g in a diluted bleach solution. I am not sure as to what the ratio of bleach to water is but I think its like 19 parts water and 1 part bleach. if anyone can confirm this that would be great!

hope this helps.

I doubt very much if the BGA has completely gone from your 30g and to be honest it's normally present tanks, its just not able to establish itself and therefore remains small and you cant see it.

I would say move the plant, if put your hand in the 30g and then in the 55g that would problem introduce it anyway, I think you'll have a hard go NOT introducing it, it'll probably come in on any new fish you get for the tank! So I would move the plant, seem a shame to not use it for fear of introducing BGA when you'll probably introduce it by other means anyway!

Sam

Nectode, it was definately BGA, no doubt about it and it was such a pain for so long. It was covering everything and that rancid smell...yuk! then poof, visibly gone.

Themuleous, good point! I'll take nectodes advice and give the plant a diluted bleach dip.

OK, but don't leave it in there to long though, even hardy species will get fried eventually!

Sam

OK, but don't leave it in there to long though, even hardy species will get fried eventually!

Sam

exactly, do not leave it in more then a minute or two.. even two minutes in a long time.

Most reactions

trending

Back