The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guppyramid

Reaction score
Hello, my guppy has been acting strange lately. We have recently moved him to a new tank that was, as far as Iā€™m concerned, cycled or almost cycled as it was used and there was good bacteria in the filter media, gravel, decor, surface, etc. and we also used a bacteria starter for a couple days. Nitrates are being produced. He has been acting weird in the morning and heā€™s only been hanging around by this one plant lately. At some point he was just moving his fins but staying in one spot by the plant. Also, this morning I found one fish dead and one (that had given birth around 2 days ago) having a seizure. The rest look fine. I moved them to the tank in groups. 5 on Friday, approx. 10 Yesterday. The tank is 35-40 gallons and houses guppies and 2 dwarf gouramis. There are some live plants in the aquarium as well. Have not tested for Ammonia yet but everything else seems fine except high hardness. There is a picture attached below. Any idea whatā€™s happening?

Attachments

• 7490AD90-A32C-415A-A540-9A1D47BE35FA.jpeg
    7490AD90-A32C-415A-A540-9A1D47BE35FA.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 966D7621-415C-462B-B68C-33655FB2F6C1.jpeg
    966D7621-415C-462B-B68C-33655FB2F6C1.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 90
Have you done a water change lately? I would do a 50%-70% water change to start with and pick up a test kit.

Do a big water change every day for a week and let us know how they get on. Its always my first response when fish are unwell and more often than not no other treatment is needed, so its worth doing anyway.

Do a big water change every day for a week and let us know how they get on. Its always my first response when fish are unwell and more often than not no other treatment is needed, so its worth doing anyway.
Iā€™ll try, thanks! I already did one and they all seem fine. Except for the one that was sick in the first place. He disappeared.. Iā€™m thinking heā€™s maybe dead somewhere but I couldnā€™t find him anywhere. Any ideas?

I have a guppy/shrimp tank (30 gallon) and yeaterday I noticed one of my old female guppy just laying on the bottom, water was good and today she was doing it again and then she started swimming around just fine. I have a planted tank which really helps keep the water quality good. It also gives my guppy fry places to hide.

Thanks for the replies. Iā€™m going to take my water to a local Petsmart to get it tested for Ammonia as I do not have an Ammonia tester myself. Also, after a couple days I tested the water again. Iā€™m using test strips and it says to compare the colours to the chart at 30 seconds. The Alkalinity at 30 seconds was where itā€™s supposed to be but then after about 10 seconds it became high. Is this a concern? Also, the fish died and so did 2 other ones :( Not sure whatā€™s happening..

Iā€™ll try, thanks! I already did one and they all seem fine. Except for the one that was sick in the first place. He disappeared.. Iā€™m thinking heā€™s maybe dead somewhere but I couldnā€™t find him anywhere. Any ideas?
The couple Iā€™ve lost hid behind the filters to escape being harassed and nipped as the died, one got his tail trapped in the inlet and wasnā€™t strong enough to pull free. They lose all colour and blend in with gravel too. Just keep looking.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back