Sick Betta: Lymphocystis?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

krittakitty

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a new forum member looking for some help with my sick fishy.
I have a charming little 2y/o blue betta boy, 'Wee Mad Arthur', who I stupidly left in the care of someone else while I went away for 3 months. I did leave the caretaker a 3 page document on how to clean the tank and feed my little man, but he totally ignored it and this tank went from lush planted tank back to completely bare and covered in hair algae by the time I returned.
That I can deal with, but what happened to Arthur was the sad part, while i was away he developed a lump on his tail fin, which I had never heard of before on a betta.

I did the usual 8l quarantine tank, salt, daily water changes for weeks with no improvement, I then tried promethyasol, and various other meds recommended by LFS and NOTHING.  Its been weeks of no improvement and lots research before I saw a forum post exactly like what he had, it appears to be like lymphocystis, and I am at a loss of what to do.

The lump has been on his tail since December 2012, growing slowly, and for the past two months his tail behind the lump has been dying off. Its getting to the point where most of his tail fin has gone, wont regrow due to the lump. He's started having trouble swimming, and his back end keeps sinking when he's resting.

Here are some pics of him before and after.
http://imgur.com/1emLzr5
http://imgur.com/xtkk2kA
http://imgur.com/TuqgsIR
http://imgur.com/VbbZVVZ
I didnt get any of the lump when it first appeared, as I had hoped it would go away.  It looked very much like this:
http://www.wetwebmed...tta sick....JPG

What should I do? I can't seem to get him to heal, and he hates being in the small sick tank as it further stresses him out. He keeps getting secondary fungal infections despite the water changes and treatments. His quality of life is reduced and I dont want to see him suffering much longer.

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): No initial change in behavior, he still eats like a pig, bosses the other fish around when he's in the big tank, and flares at his reflection. Only change is physically being unable to swim as well since a large portion of his tail is missing.

Both Tank specs:

Original Larger tank: Est July 2012
Tank size: 50L /10g
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0.00
nitrite: 0.00
nitrate: 0.00
temp: 25-27 degrees (The heaters struggle here in winter, and it dips a little overnight as it has been getting down to -9!!)

Volume and Frequency of water changes: weekly 25 - 50% changes
Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: prime, stability. Filter media - sponge, ceramic noodles, filterwool.
Tank inhabitants: 5 small Corydoras, 1 Oto cat (and Arthur when he's not sick...)
Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none.
Exposure to chemicals: prime, stability.

Current med tank:
Tank size: 8L /1.5G
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0.00
nitrite: 0.00
nitrate: 0.00
temp: 25-27 degrees (The heaters struggle here in winter, and it dips a little overnight as it has been getting down to -9!!)

Volume and Frequency of water changes: every 2 days 75% changes
Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: just filter wool while medicating.
Tank inhabitants: Aurthur - Betta,
Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none.
Exposure to chemicals: Promethyasol, prime, stability.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Kritta.

I'm afraid there's no cure for lymphocystis.

All you can do is make him as comfortable as possible, TBH :(

It doesn't seem to be infectious though, so he can go back in the bigger tank, if he's happier there.

fluttermoth said:
I'm afraid there's no cure for lymphocystis.

All you can do is make him as comfortable as possible, TBH
sad.png

It doesn't seem to be infectious though, so he can go back in the bigger tank, if he's happier there.

Sorry, fluttermoth, that may not necessarily be true on a few counts.

If it is indeed Lymphocystis, then it is contagious as it is a viral infection that many types of fish can contract. In fact, a lot of fish may already have the virus but not display any symptoms at all as their immune system is working well. It can be thought of much like a common cold in humans - we are being attacked by viral infections all the time, but it is only at the point of a weakened immune system that we get a 'cold'! Not a perfect analogy, but, you see what I mean...

Boosting the wee guys immune system is key here, in my opinion... Quarantine is good, you have already done that. The next thing is to concentrate on keeping the water in as perfect condition as possible. Feeding him very high quality food - fat and vitamin supplements - regularly and in smallish amounts will give him the best possible chance! It is possible to get fish immune boosters as well.

You should also stop adding medications that are not antibiotic based. If you do have antibiotic medications that should keep secondary infections to a minimum (hopefully). Also, don't be tempted to touch him or try to 'rub-off' any lumps or bumps - breaking the viral nodules will only release A LOT more of the virus into the water!

Best of luck and I hope he gets much better soon!

Happy to stand corrected :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back