The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Finthechat

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My shubunkin goldfish has swim bladder. Iā€™ve read a lot about treatments and solutions already.

How would you feed him if he doesnā€™t eat the peas?

Would you hold him out of the waters and force feed?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

What makes you think the fish has a swim bladder problem?

Can you post a picture and video of the fish swimming?
If the video is too big for the forum, upload it to YouTube and copy & paste the link here.

How long has the tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
How often do you clean the filter?
How do you clean the filter?

---------------------
Don't try to force feed the fish.

Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until we work out what is going on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

What they said lol.
What size tank?
Is it filtered?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
How often do you do water changes? How much water do you change each time?

What makes you think the fish has a swim bladder problem?
He struggles to maintain a normal swimming position, sinks to the bottom, his belly is curved and he has no appetite. No other fish have it. I believe I may have over-fed him.

Can you post a picture and video of the fish swimming?
I canā€™t. He is simply sitting at the bottom of the tank, sometimes he swims a little bit, but not much.

How long has the tank been set up for?
Tanks been going since early February. I have recently added another fish in the tank, from one of my other tanks, he is not new, but he had just finished recovering from white spot (all goods now).

How often do you do water changes?
I do water changes usually twice a week, had to step it up though since there were some sickness and what have you, but thereā€™s been no trouble in regards to water changes.

Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Yes, I always clean the gravel and also fish out any uneaten food.

How often do you clean the filter?
I clean the filter every second water change.

How do you clean the filter?
I take the filter apart and clean each part under running water, sometimes when there is access algae or waste I will put a paper towel through it to get it all out. then re-rinse. I dry it off with itā€™s own special towel and chuck it back in. Never caused a problem before.

Sounds like a nightmare tank. Again, fish with swim bladder problems don't refuse food. Your fish sounds like it's dying of nitrate or ammonia poisoning. You should never wash filter parts under running tap water. You'll kill the beneficial bacteria. Your tank is technically too small for even one goldfish. You really need to post photos or something. This is the only true way to know what may be going on.

Most reactions

Back