April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Devlin H

Reaction score
I am new to the fish tank hobby. i started about 3 months ago. i have a 40 gallon planted tank i have 4 very big amazon swords, java moss, some fern looking plants, water lettuce, frogbit, some duck weed, and a few other plants i don't remember. As for fish i have a male powder blue gourami, 2 male fire gouramis, 1 harlequin rasbora, 3 tetras (not sure what kind they look like neons but red), albino bristlenose pleco, reg bristlenose, and a com pleco (for now might be moved to a different tank). My water parameters are PH 7.8-8.3 ish, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20-40 ppm ish its hard to read the test kit. I am running a aqua clear 70 with a spoung some polishing pads and two bags of bio rings, no carbon because i use fertilizers once a week for my plants. T8 grow lights. Sorry for the long into now my question is why is all the shrimp i try to put in die? I have tried to put in 4 different types of shrimp and none of them have lived longer then 3ish days. I have tried cherry shrimp (that were breed locally), ive had chocolate cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp and Amano shrimp. if any one has any idea why i cant get them to live let me know!

Dissaper. The guys at my fish store said that the bodies will desinergrate and I wouldn't see bodies my new amani shrimp came out last night I saw him for the first time since I got him. I use sachem flourish it says it has .0001% copper

Why are your shrimp disappearing?

Heres a hint.
. As for fish i have a male powder blue gourami, 2 male fire gouramis,
They are being eaten.

That's what I was thinking my gouramis were eating them. The cherry shrimp are supper small.

Dwarf gouramis shouldn't eat live ghost/ glass shrimp.

What are the polishing pads you have in the filter?

If you put shrimp in the tank during the first 2 months you had the aquarium, they probably died from ammonia or nitrite poisoning that occurred while the filter was cycling and developing the beneficial bacteria needed to keep the water clean. Any ammonia produced in your water with a pH between 7.8 & 8.3 will kill shrimp and fish very quickly.

Dead shrimp usually go white and sit on the bottom of the tank where other shrimp and fish eat them.

Shrimp can jump out of tanks at night if they get startled. Check the floor around the tank and have a cover on the aquarium to prevent this.

If you post a picture of the fish you have but can't remember the name of, we should be able to identify them for you.

All tetras and rasboras should be kept in groups of at least 6 and preferably 10 or more.

I didn't start putting shrimp in tell 4 months after I had a established tank so it wasnt that and I did just put in today 17 neon tetras two more amano shrimp and a small bishir my fish store said it wouldn't bother anything besides maybe the smallest pleco but he should be fine. And I dont think they ate the ghost shrimp I think they ate the small cherry's

You do not want to keep Birchirs with neons or shrimp because they are nocturnal predators that eat small things. I would return the Birchir or get another tank for it.

Find out what the pH and GH of the water is at the pet shop where you get the shrimp from. If there is a big difference between your water chemistry and the shop's, that could be a contributing factor to your shrimp dying.

Have you added any medications to the tank during the time it has been set up?
Some medications (normally copper based) can leave a residue that can harm shrimp.

Ok and I asked them about there ph they are 3 blocks from my house and we have about the same water ph he said there's is 7.8-8 and no meds. And the shop owner said the bishir would be ok because it is a species that dosnt get over 7 ish inches right now he is about 3

Dang I really like the bishir but if I have to I will get rid of him

If you want to keep the Birchir then keep it and see how it goes. But my guess is the neons and shrimp will start to disappear. If you feed the Birchir well just before the tank lights get turned off, it will be less likely to eat other things in the tank.

Feed it a variety of frozen (but defrosted) foods like cooked prawn, fish, bloodworms, brineshrimp.

----------------------
Have you tested the copper in your aquarium and tap water?

The water pipes in houses are normally made from copper and this can leach into the water over time, usually when the water is sitting in the pipes and not being used (like at night or when everyone goes to work).

If you run the tap for a few minutes before collecting water for the aquarium, it should help flush out any copper contaminated water so you get clean water to use. I use to water the garden and then fill my water holding tanks.

----------------------
Make sure you use fish only buckets for water changes.

----------------------
In your original post you mention you have 1 harlequin and 3 tetras. I assume you had more than that and some died?
If yes, did you treat the tank and what did you treat it with?

----------------------
Do a big (75%) water change using dechlorinated water, don't add any fertilisers for a couple of weeks and see if the shrimp are ok. Then add some fertiliser and see what happens.

And I asked what kinda tetras they were at the shop he said there nick name are porkchop rasboras I think

Most reactions

Back