Show Me Your Backgrounds Please?

poisongirl

New Member
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am still looking for inspiration on what to do with my 4' tank.
I have given up on the idea of making a background out or polystyrene and cement. So, I want to use rocks and slate.

But I would like a few to look at before I start setting it all up please :)

What kind of stone can I use? I am having gravel in the bottom, its natural colours, I want a really natural looking tank.

Obviously I got to be careful how much extra weight I am putting in my tank. I am having a metal stand for it but it does not have supports in the middle so I was thinking of getting some cut at the ironmongers.
 
Mines plain black. But its different to most peoples, its a piece of rigid acrylic black plastic cut to size and siliconed on. By far the cleanest best looking black backgrounds ive had...
 
You may not like this one, but by accident I discovered that a black bin liner can make a great effective background. I wanted to darken my hospital tank so I shoved a bin liner behind it crumpled up. i have just tried the same idea with my quaranteen tank and it doesnt look too bad. Also with it being behind the tank you are not using up any space inside the tank. I would show you a piccy but the batteries are flat on my camera.
 
Great idea!
I was considering spraying the back of the tank and building something similar to what chr18_8 has done, I really like it
P1010222-2.jpg


Sorry, chr15_8 for stealing your pic!! I just think that looks really good!

At the moment the back and sides of the tank are sprayed a horrible blue, and its not very well done so I am going to scrape it off.
 
ive done some things like that,funniest thing that worked,i got some large cardboard cut it to size, and painted it with left over blue paint from bathroom,left to dry then stuck on back,it actually looked ok, at present i do not have a backing,had a great 3d inside background but it came unstuck and a fish got stuck behind so i removed it,

before
oookkkkk006.jpg


how it stands now
minipuffer057.jpg
 
I really wanted a 3D background, but was unsure on what to get... I don't like the look of the black ''tree bark'' one pets at home sell, and my tank being 4ft I would need at least 2 bits, and Id hate there to be an obvious join!
 
No problem about stealing the picture.

I wouldn't worry too much about the extra weight. I put egg create on the glass bottom then built up the first layer slate. I then put the sand in the tank. This means when the fish dig in the sand there will be no chance the rocks will fall.

The rock will displace the water so you will loose a bit of water but it will also displace the weight of the water. The tank was standing on the flimsy rena stand in those pictures, if i pushed hard enough i could of probably broke it.
 
Great idea!
I was considering spraying the back of the tank and building something similar to what chr18_8 has done, I really like it
P1010222-2.jpg


Sorry, chr15_8 for stealing your pic!! I just think that looks really good!

At the moment the back and sides of the tank are sprayed a horrible blue, and its not very well done so I am going to scrape it off.

That tank looks set up for African cichlids, is that what you are planning on?
 
One of mine is a moss wall with a combined filter that I built. My other tank is simpy tin foil put on as flat as I could get it in one go but it gives a good natural 3d effect from the natural crinkling, over time the foil begins to dull and tarnish thus appearing like a rock formation at the back.
 
I'm having a community tank. I currently have 2 platy and one bulldog plec. I plan on getting more platy and some neons. Maybe some molly or dwarf gourami, not sure yet.

I have been looking on google and in shops etc to see what people have done with their tank, and I really liked the look of that slate. I will also be having some bogwood and plants.
I saw someones tank and they got slate and just stuck it on the tank and it looked ok, but I really like how chris has done his.

I will be experimenting alot before I do it, it will be a long long time before the tank is ready for water, or fish.
 
I'm having a community tank. I currently have 2 platy and one bulldog plec. I plan on getting more platy and some neons. Maybe some molly or dwarf gourami, not sure yet.

I have been looking on google and in shops etc to see what people have done with their tank, and I really liked the look of that slate. I will also be having some bogwood and plants.
I saw someones tank and they got slate and just stuck it on the tank and it looked ok, but I really like how chris has done his.

I will be experimenting alot before I do it, it will be a long long time before the tank is ready for water, or fish.

I can tell you now that they tank is being used for African Cichlids. I am not sure on how the community fish owuld like it, but most people keep Mbuna, which means rock-dwelling, and that is why that they have rocks in the tank. I'm not saying that it would not be suited for community, but I think Africans would be more happy in a tank like that, maybe you should look into Africans.
 
Yeah, I know it was for cichlids. I'm definitely having a community tank though.

I'm not going to have the rocks as deep. I just want something that looks nice without having to scape my own 3D background from polystyrene and cement, as my attempt failed miserably!
I'm not coppying chris' completely, just using it as an idea. I think I am going to use smaller bits of rock/slate.
My tank will have lods of plants and some bogwood.

I'm not 100% on the background yet, I may find something I like more.. The stand hopefully comes next week, and I'm going to get some supports for the middle and build a cabinet around it. Then, I will start playing around with the background.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top