should I use this rock?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TWynnB

Reaction score
I found this beautiful rock in the LFS, it was a new box on the floor from a recent shipment.

Took it home and washed it, and orange debris came off at a decent rate, with small chunks of it that would dissolve easily by smooshing it b/w fingers. I got out a toothbrush and scrubbed it, and would get a good amount off - then would use my fingernail and it would still scratch off the orange clay in a decent amount. Underneath the orange seems to be almost a pretty quartz like stone in varied colors. I have soaked it two days, scrubbing it some daily and not making much headway in not having it come off easily.
I'm concerned of putting it in my tank that it will constantly ooze orange. The water wasn't bad this am, but after I washed and scrubbed it again it was pretty murky with clumps.
The only review anywhere said it discolored the water.
Any ideas or experiences? It is lovely but I don't want to regret it.
http://www.naturesocean.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-rock.html - This is the name of the stone per store owner.

Attachments

• 158492117_2593723480929305_3520312263116554470_n.jpg
    158492117_2593723480929305_3520312263116554470_n.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 75
I personally wouldn’t. It honestly looks like someone just pulled that out of a clay deposit.

@madmark285 has mentioned completely surrounding the rock in gorilla glue, so it is safe to use in your aquarium. Maybe he can tell you more about that?

I'm not a geologist but I would avoid putting it in a tank until you find out what it is. It looks like someone has painted it. Maybe it was made of clay, painted and kiln fired.

It looks natural, but my gut is that it's not good for the tank. When I kneeled on the ground to pick one out, I had orange dust all over my hands and my clothes. Should've been my first clue, right? I thought anything at LFS would be okay, although he was surprised when I said issues.
I'll pass on gorilla glue because I'm not that ambitious and not sure it will fit in with design of driftwood and dragon rock. Not worth the time.
I think both are right to not use. It is pretty though!

It looks natural, but my gut is that it's not good for the tank. When I kneeled on the ground to pick one out, I had orange dust all over my hands and my clothes. Should've been my first clue, right? I thought anything at LFS would be okay, although he was surprised when I said issues.
I'll pass on gorilla glue because I'm not that ambitious and not sure it will fit in with design of driftwood and dragon rock. Not worth the time.
I think both are right to not use. It is pretty though!
Not everything sold at LFS’s are safe for tanks. Also, never trust the employees about if it’s safe, or what it is.

It is pretty! Maybe you could use it as a fancy paper weight. :nod:

ha! I'm thinking of giving it to my friend that is obsessed with plants, or someone else that would like it for a terrarium or similar.

It would look good in a garden or flowerbed; I wouldn't use it in a fish tank.

ha! I'm thinking of giving it to my friend that is obsessed with plants, or someone else that would like it for a terrarium or similar.
If it was painted, it may not be best in a terrarium with reptiles... in a garden or flower pot would be cool. :good:

Hi TW, this looks like a fake rock, break it with a hammer to see what’s inside, my guess is it’s concrete of something similar moulded then painted. But don’t use it. PJ

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back