Should I Say Goobye

Just add when you put the fish in, (10 drops - some use 20)
 
death doses greater than 0.25 ml per litre of water (about 1 ml per gallon, or 1/4 teaspoon per gallon)

Emma
 
If you are going to flush the fish after you kill it leave it in the clove oil solution for five minutes after all gill movement has stopped. Fish that are anaesthetised with clove oil are revived by placing them in clean water, and I think everybody is pretty much agreed that being flushed down the dunny is not a nice way to go.

Emma you're lucky, you can get some of the better drugs being a vet. I mean you have to face it - clove oil stinks and it stings as well.
 
If you are going to flush the fish after you kill it leave it in the clove oil solution for five minutes after all gill movement has stopped. Fish that are anaesthetised with clove oil are revived by placing them in clean water, and I think everybody is pretty much agreed that being flushed down the dunny is not a nice way to go.

Emma you're lucky, you can get some of the better drugs being a vet. I mean you have to face it - clove oil stinks and it stings as well.

Point taken

Emma
 
If we have to euthanase we use clove oil in my vet practrice

Emma
I find that interesting. One of the other members here (Steelhealr) is a surgeon in America and he has some potential issues with clove oil. His main problem is that we know that it causes paralysis, ceases gill function and reduces pain; but whether or not it induces unconsciousness is unknown. Dying by oil of cloves could be considered in a similar vein to a completely paralysed person drowning. You feel no pain from it, but you are perfectly aware of your surroundings and what is happening, thus preventing it being entirely humane

There are very few studies on the ability of clove oil to produce analgesia as well as anaesthesia, so one cannot truly be sure. It is intriguing that the AVMA does not (or at least did not until recently, I haven't checked) advocate clove oil as humane euthanasia.
 
If we have to euthanase we use clove oil in my vet practrice

Emma
I find that interesting. One of the other members here (Steelhealr) is a surgeon in America and he has some potential issues with clove oil. His main problem is that we know that it causes paralysis, ceases gill function and reduces pain; but whether or not it induces unconsciousness is unknown. Dying by oil of cloves could be considered in a similar vein to a completely paralysed person drowning. You feel no pain from it, but you are perfectly aware of your surroundings and what is happening, thus preventing it being entirely humane

There are very few studies on the ability of clove oil to produce analgesia as well as anaesthesia, so one cannot truly be sure. It is intriguing that the AVMA does not (or at least did not until recently, I haven't checked) advocate clove oil as humane euthanasia.

This is true. Alternative acceptable methods are overdosing tricaine methanesulfonate (MS-222), benzocaine (related to MS-222). These prove quite costly for the average customer of a vet today, so clove oil or extracts of, is now regarded as the norm

Emma
 
imo i wouldnt use icy water or freeze, because they can feel it, their body shutting down n its painful for em

so i would deffo say go for clove oil:)
 
thanks for what you wrote ANDYWG (not lol)

the fish does not have columnaris (well it did some time ago)

but sadly its been a case of constant fighting for it not to get ill,

one now has a bulging eye, one has two dots on its eye.
the other is a total lack of colour.

and aggressions is high and they are all divided

as I say all other fish are fine and my catfish is larger than life...
 
imo i wouldnt use icy water or freeze, because they can feel it, their body shutting down n its painful for em

so i would deffo say go for clove oil:)
If you plunge a tropical fish into icy water they will go into an unconscious state almost instantly, provided the fish is of a small size (say 4" or less). The use of icy water is one of the acceptable humane ways of euthanising fish at the University of Washington. Considering that someone of the knowledge of Ted Pietsch works there I doubt that they will have an inhumane method for euthanising fish.

Just putting the fish in the freezer is a bad way to do it, but placing water in a fridge until it is about 4 degrees, and then putting ice cubes into it will work very well. I have done this a couple of times and the fish go unconscious almost instantly.

If you use clove oil there is no way to know the fish is unconscious. Still being conscious as your gills shut down and you slowly suffocate is almost certainly not a great way to go, though it is a method I have reluctantly used on my larger fish (Chalceus over 6 or 7" in length).
 
The Icy Cold method was done....
thanks for bringing this up before I used Clove Oil......
 
The Icy Cold method was done....
thanks for bringing this up before I used Clove Oil......
I am sorry for your loss :rip:
Did it look quick? just interested as i have never used this method.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top