Should I Get Amano Shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppies can really jump... they don't often do it, but they certainly can and will

You could always have a glass or perspex lid made, so it's not a big hood thing over the tank, looks more seamless, but keeps fish and shrimp inside the tank!

Guppies might pick off some shrimplets, but a full grown neo is way too big for them to eat. If you have a lot of planting and cave bits to hide in as well, most shrimplets will make it too. My shrimp colony doesn't seem to have suffered from sharing a tank with guppies, they're often recommended to live together!

There's also a gap between my hood and my tank (second hand, the hood isn't the one designed for the tank) and finding a shrivelled, dead red cherry shrimp on the tank stand one morning was very sad! I bodged it so it leaves less of a gap now.
Glass lids = :thumbs:

"Hood" lids = :no:

IMO

Glass lids = :thumbs:

"Hood" lids = :no:

IMO
Yep. I hate the hoods on my tanks, but I got what I could afford second hand at the time! Since I'll be changing all my tanks around fairly soon, and I don't know yet which are staying and which are going, not worth having glass or perspex lids made yet.

The hood on my inherited 57 gallon is even worse. It's so old, it has filters built into the hood. Nice huge boxes for media, but now that the pump has packed up, you can't even buy the pieces to fix it, and I'm left with this huge ugly hood and trim. Oh well, will make the best of it! Would be worth getting a glass or perspex lid made for it for sure.

Yep. I hate the hoods on my tanks, but I got what I could afford second hand at the time! Since I'll be changing all my tanks around fairly soon, and I don't know yet which are staying and which are going, not worth having glass or perspex lids made yet.

The hood on my inherited 57 gallon is even worse. It's so old, it has filters built into the hood. Nice huge boxes for media, but now that the pump has packed up, you can't even buy the pieces to fix it, and I'm left with this huge ugly hood and trim. Oh well, will make the best of it! Would be worth getting a glass or perspex lid made for it for sure.
What is perspex?
Is that the UK name for plexiglass?

I'm not sure whether it's the same as plexiglass, more acrylic?
I bet they are the same thing

Not at all, floating plants won't be harmed, it would just be like rain in the wild...
Oh yeah, common sense really! Sorry about that. I'm a bit slow.
Guppies can really jump... they don't often do it, but they certainly can and will

You could always have a glass or perspex lid made, so it's not a big hood thing over the tank, looks more seamless, but keeps fish and shrimp inside the tank!

Guppies might pick off some shrimplets, but a full grown neo is way too big for them to eat. If you have a lot of planting and cave bits to hide in as well, most shrimplets will make it too. My shrimp colony doesn't seem to have suffered from sharing a tank with guppies, they're often recommended to live together!

There's also a gap between my hood and my tank (second hand, the hood isn't the one designed for the tank) and finding a shrivelled, dead red cherry shrimp on the tank stand one morning was very sad! I bodged it so it leaves less of a gap now.

I'll look into glass lids... How expensive would it be to have one made/DIY it? I can't find any online that fit the required measurements, and I need a little space for the heater + filter wiring... But I'm on a budget of £60 (that covers everything: stocking, decorating, plants, e.c.t, not just for necessary equipment)

I'll look into glass lids... How expensive would it be to have one made/DIY it? I can't find any online that fit the required measurements, and I need a little space for the heater + filter wiring... But I'm on a budget of £60 (that covers everything: stocking, decorating, plants, e.c.t, not just for necessary equipment)
The store-bought glass lids usually have a plastic strip on the back, that can be cut out to accompany tank equipment

Which tank is it, exactly?

Maybe some of the other UK members here have the same tank, and can advise on which glass lid to get.
It's a 54L Tetra starter line tank. Came with a heater, filter and a few other bits and bobs. Measures 60x30x30cm.
1615403772280.png

I

I couldn't tell you pricings, sorry. I haven't fully investigated myself. Probably varies by area too. I'm sure some places make custom lids, think @seangee and @AilyNC have done it and might know more! Or if you're related to or know someone who is handy with powertools, they might be able to cut some gaps for equipment into a perspex sheet for you!

ETA: Pretty sure @Essjay does too, she's the one who first suggested it to me :)

Weird offer since you don't know me! But I understand being on a tight budget, and how pricey setting up a tank gets. If you'd like, when you're ready for plants, and if you'd trust me with your address, I'd be happy to send you some shrimp safe plant trimmings from my Amazon Frogbit, limnophilia sessiliflora, siamensis 53B and any other plants I have at the time that I can trim cuttings from :) Can't guarantee algae or Mayalsian Trumpet Snail free though.

Weird offer since you don't know me! But I understand being on a tight budget, and how pricey setting up a tank gets. If you'd like, when you're ready for plants, and if you'd trust me with your address, I'd be happy to send you some shrimp safe plant trimmings from my Amazon Frogbit, limnophilia sessiliflora, siamensis 53B and any other plants I have at the time that I can trim cuttings from :) Can't guarantee algae or Mayalsian Trumpet Snail free though.
Ooh, I'll have a think about it! Right now I'm starting up with duckweed (getting it tomorrow), but I'd definitely like the try out some more plants!! And... I've got a lot of MTS in my big tank right now... Had snail babies recently! So I wouldn't mind if I got any freebies to be honest.
Thank you for the offer though!! I'll definitely think about it!

Ooh, I'll have a think about it! Right now I'm starting up with duckweed (getting it tomorrow), but I'd definitely like the try out some more plants!! And... I've got a lot of MTS in my big tank right now... Had snail babies recently! So I wouldn't mind if I got any freebies to be honest.
Thank you for the offer though!! I'll definitely think about it!
I've sent some to a friend on here before (and vice versa), and I end up throwing a load of plant away most weeks, so while I'd prefer it to go to someone who needs it, I'm way too busy/lazy to try to sell it online or anything. So no worries, just pm me if you'd like some once you're all set up. :)

I've sent some to a friend on here before (and vice versa), and I end up throwing a load of plant away most weeks, so while I'd prefer it to go to someone who needs it, I'm way too busy/lazy to try to sell it online or anything. So no worries, just pm me if you'd like some once you're all set up. :)
Thank you so much!

Most reactions

trending

Back