Should I Get Amano Shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Should I get amano shrimp for my 54L planted tank?
I'm currently in the process of cycling the tank ad getting the plants all settled in, so it may be a little bit of time before then, but would getting some amano shrimp for my tank be a good idea?
My stock plan so far is...
1x bristlenose pleco
6x corys (albino and bronze)
9x guppies

Would I be able to have any amano shrimp in this tank? And how many would I need if I were to get them?

I heard they like groups, so I bought six. Haven't seen them really hang out together, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Maybe not such a great idea actually - I've got a lidless tank and apparently they're known to be little escape artists.
:blush: What other shrimp would be good for this tank? I'd be worried that the guppies would try to eat cherry shrimp.

Maybe not such a great idea actually - I've got a lidless tank and apparently they're known to be little escape artists.
:blush: What other shrimp would be good for this tank? I'd be worried that the guppies would try to eat cherry shrimp.
Guppies won't eat cherries, but the cherries can escape, as well

Why not get a lid for the tank?

Well, then, you're gonna have escapees, lol....any fish that can/may jump, as well

Plus, your water level will always be dropping, due to evaporation
Wouldn't it cause damage to floating plants if the water drips back down? Sorry, I'm really cautious about this. I'll probably get one when I've looked into it properly.

Guppies can really jump... they don't often do it, but they certainly can and will

You could always have a glass or perspex lid made, so it's not a big hood thing over the tank, looks more seamless, but keeps fish and shrimp inside the tank!

Guppies might pick off some shrimplets, but a full grown neo is way too big for them to eat. If you have a lot of planting and cave bits to hide in as well, most shrimplets will make it too. My shrimp colony doesn't seem to have suffered from sharing a tank with guppies, they're often recommended to live together!

There's also a gap between my hood and my tank (second hand, the hood isn't the one designed for the tank) and finding a shrivelled, dead red cherry shrimp on the tank stand one morning was very sad! I bodged it so it leaves less of a gap now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back