Should I get a co2 diffuser?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Brad G

Reaction score
Do you think I need co2? I also have 2 petite Anubis coming the mail and a couple more moss balls.
A2E2C4D4-B9AF-413E-8558-624DC0A45618.jpeg

You do not need carbon dioxide (CO2) for that tank. There is simply not enough plants in it to justify adding CO2.

There is plenty of CO2 in an aquarium. It is produced continuously by fish, snails, shrimp and bacteria. Bacteria produce heaps of it. You also get CO2 coming into the tank from the atmosphere.

If you have an aquarium completely full of fast growing plants, and you have very bright light above the tank, and you add lots of aquarium plant fertiliser, then you can add CO2. But unless you have that, it is pointless adding CO2.

Anubias are very slow growing plants in aquarium, and so are the moss balls.

On a side note, you need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. :)

Also Co2 and shrimp usually don’t mix...
I have CO2 in my tank with shrimp and the shrimp are fine and do regualrly reproduce. The problems with CO2 is that people tend to use too much or use a system that doesn't have a stable output.

There is plenty of CO2 in an aquarium. It is produced continuously by fish, snails, shrimp and bacteria. Bacteria produce heaps of it. You also get CO2 coming into the tank from the atmosphere.

Yes fish do produce CO2 constantly but one fish doesn't produce a lot. So the number of fish in the tank will determine how much CO2 is produced The picture of the tank doesn't show a lot of fish or shrimp or snails. So they are not adding much to the tank. And even small plants need a lot of CO2 to grow.

So the amount of CO2 available for plant growth is determined by the number and size of the fish, the size of the tank, Light levels and if there are enough nutrients in the water to support plant growth. So a blanket statement that there is plenty of CO2 in an aquarium is likely not accurate for all tanks.

In my experience do need a fertilizer more than they need CO2. So rather than CO2 I would recommend trying to good fertilzier

i

Most reactions

Back