Shocking Pics From A Lfs!

Welshweeks

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

Was out and about earlier and decided to pop into a LFS to see if they had anything interesting in there (as you do!). While looking at the tanks I came across these poor fellows in the pics below (2 separate tanks). There was a young lad there who was doing a water change on some other tanks. I pointed them out to him but he just shrugged his shoulders!! Glad I've not bought any fish from there. I know these things happen in the stores but this wasn't first thing in the morning so you think they would have been taken out before the store opened at the very least.

20130320_105651_zps1d2675b4.jpg

20130320_105853_zpsee17b2bc.jpg

Was it a chain or independent? If a chain, send the photos to head office. If an independent don't go there again!

If it was new stock then it's quite normal for a few or more to drop dead within a few hours. But some leave them as the fish tend to just eat the bodies.

Indeed, but it doesn't look good. They would be promptly removed if it were my store I'm sure you would do the same?

There is a shop near me that is like this week on week!  Sadly I have met people that say "I used to have fish but I gave up because they kept dying".  When I question them further they have sadly bought everything from this store!  I try and encourage them to try again recommending better stores to go to.

I have tried to find out who licenses the stores as it really needs to be addressed.  Especially when fish are sold with diseases to unsuspecting customers, which happened to a friend and she lost not only the new fish, but also all bar one of her existing fish when going to this store.  She was also sold a new tank, and new fish on the same day, so of course not only were the new fish likely diseased but the tank was not cycled!  She was going to give in, so I spoke to my LFS and asked they looked out for her, she now goes to the store I recommended and is considering going to tropical (currently cold-water).

It's a real problem from the majority of stores I think (selling fish to new tank customers). It's obvious why they do it as how many people are prepared to wait weeks/months before they can put a single fish in? The majority of stores would probably go out of business. I don't condone what they do but can see why. It's a shame they don't have a large amount of mature media to hand and can maybe set-up the tank for people. Unrealistic I know but that would be the way to go imo.

Most reactions

Back