Sexing This Platy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RyanTheFishGuy64

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I was wondering for any help sexing this Red Wag Platy. Its fin is wider than other males but sharper than other females. Any help? Thanks in advance!
IMG_1582.JPG

When I had mine lots of times the only way to tell was size is the platy big or small compared to other females you have?

RRaquariums said:
When I had mine lots of times the only way to tell was size is the platy big or small compared to other females you have?
I only have one male and one unknown(in pic)I know I should have more females but I want to gradually work into getting more so I dont cause much stress...the male is about .5 times the size of the one in the picture...I had them for about a week and a half and they havent shown shown any signs of mating, nor has the Platy above shown any signs of pregnancy...An easy was to answer this question would be, "If he/she has babies....youll know" But I could wait for months...Id like to know soon...Thanks Again!

Well then right off hand I'd say he's a male that was either in with several larger males and was some what stunted because of it or he's just a bit on the small side but either way I'd go with make I could be totally wrong so maybe someone else will come along with more experience at keeping these fish.

From that pic it looks male to me too.  Would be nice if you could get a pic with the fins expanded.

Ok thanks guys! Not the answer I was wishing for...just because of the common ratio for tanks that will make it harder to meet lol :/ I will show it to a friend of mine that works at the LFS and see what she thinks. 

Ive been sexing them for a while myself, I would call that a male. Only changing if it went and have birth to fry. My red wag male looked like that for a while till the fin fully developed into the tube like structure it is now. I have noticed wags take a bit longer than the other varieties I have to sexually develop, at least males.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back