Sexing Firemouth?

Stanv03

New Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2021
Messages
22
Reaction score
2
Points
3
Location
30080
I got this Firemouth about a week ago, it’s like 3.5 or 4 inches big, can anyone tell me what gender it would be?
 

Attachments

  • 8AB31882-7B4D-4FD9-907D-16A38EA09CCF.webp
    8AB31882-7B4D-4FD9-907D-16A38EA09CCF.webp
    244.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 4C1C0AA0-5449-477A-B193-85FA7394E736.webp
    4C1C0AA0-5449-477A-B193-85FA7394E736.webp
    268.8 KB · Views: 125
  • F4F9A3EB-DEC3-442B-8CDA-192290FF346D.webp
    F4F9A3EB-DEC3-442B-8CDA-192290FF346D.webp
    246.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 360EDD7D-BC16-4385-874C-0518D1B49DB2.webp
    360EDD7D-BC16-4385-874C-0518D1B49DB2.webp
    277.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 0F945741-3BEC-4D35-99FC-F746ECB301D5.webp
    0F945741-3BEC-4D35-99FC-F746ECB301D5.webp
    220.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 6EEEAA10-D880-4228-A242-324ACA1F760F.webp
    6EEEAA10-D880-4228-A242-324ACA1F760F.webp
    188.8 KB · Views: 118
  • B2EA9083-01E5-41C2-B7B1-15458932A3CB.webp
    B2EA9083-01E5-41C2-B7B1-15458932A3CB.webp
    332.1 KB · Views: 148
Any reason why his belly is orange instead of red?
Firemouths are pretty common in the hobby and consequently they have been overbred to the point that some of the ones LFS have are not near as pretty as good breeding stock.

Male Firemouths can have red/orange that runs most the duration of the body - females typically have less. You can tell by the "torpedo" shape of the fish (as opposed to a deeper body), the pointed dorsal fins and honestly - the size that this is clearly a male.
 
They’re a surprisingly variable fish. In nature there are distinct populations with red, orange, and even yellow. The aquarium strains tend to be red but there’s a few orange ones about.
 
Firemouths are pretty common in the hobby and consequently they have been overbred to the point that some of the ones LFS have are not near as pretty as good breeding stock.

Male Firemouths can have red/orange that runs most the duration of the body - females typically have less. You can tell by the "torpedo" shape of the fish (as opposed to a deeper body), the pointed dorsal fins and honestly - the size that this is clearly a male.
Would I be able to keep 2 males in 125 or should I just add a female. Because I want 2 of them, but I was really looking for the red belly if it’s possible
 
They’re a surprisingly variable fish. In nature there are distinct populations with red, orange, and even yellow. The aquarium strains tend to be red but there’s a few orange ones about.
Would I be able to keep 2 males in 125 or should I just add a female. Because I want 2 of them, but I was really looking for the red belly if it’s possible
 
125 gallons or litres? US or UK?
 
A small group of half a dozen should be ok. They’re a social fish in nature, living in small groups.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top