Panda Garra sex

Tiara

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 3, 2023
Messages
62
Reaction score
39
Points
18
Location
Bulgaria
Hello all, have a question about a Panda Garra's sex. Can someone determine if it is a boy or a girl? I have him/her for about 2 years or so, but have never wondered what sex he is.
I atached a picture of him.
 

Attachments

  • 1000006884.webp
    1000006884.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 34
I love the look and sound of what I've just researched on this little fish, but from reading it can jump or even crawl up the side of an aquarium and escape it would not be a good one for me.
 
That is a handsome panda garra! I'm just guessing, but I'd say male because of its colorful fins, slender shape & maybe longish pectoral fins.

I only kept them twice. 1st on US east coast. I bought 4 or 5 junior size, 1 died in QT & I had to rehome 2 years later for a far move. none ever got as quite colorful as yours. I tried 3 smaller 1s where I live now. But while they survived QT, they didn't live long for me. Both coasts had similar soft water & good flow. The 1st had rowdier histrionica loaches for tankmates. 2nd, wimpy sewellia hillstream loaches & stiphodon gobies.

I would not keep any sucker mouthed-type fish in a rimless tank (plecos, hillstream loaches, garra, etc). I only tried 1 once & even "mystery snails" climbed out. Fortunately they made a ping pong ball sound when they hit the floor & I could rescue them. Even the usual thin plastic tank rim seemed to keep climbers safe.
 
That is a handsome panda garra! I'm just guessing, but I'd say male because of its colorful fins, slender shape & maybe longish pectoral fins.

I only kept them twice. 1st on US east coast. I bought 4 or 5 junior size, 1 died in QT & I had to rehome 2 years later for a far move. none ever got as quite colorful as yours. I tried 3 smaller 1s where I live now. But while they survived QT, they didn't live long for me. Both coasts had similar soft water & good flow. The 1st had rowdier histrionica loaches for tankmates. 2nd, wimpy sewellia hillstream loaches & stiphodon gobies.

I would not keep any sucker mouthed-type fish in a rimless tank (plecos, hillstream loaches, garra, etc). I only tried 1 once & even "mystery snails" climbed out. Fortunately they made a ping pong ball sound when they hit the floor & I could rescue them. Even the usual thin plastic tank rim seemed to keep climbers safe.
Hey, thank you for your answer! He looks male to me also. When I bought him I also got another Garra, but they fought a lot (even when small) and sadly one of them died. Now he is alone in the tank and is feeling great.
My water is indeed soft with pH around 7 and he is thriving.
Thanks God so far no fish has escaped my tank, but I'll keep an eye on him 🤗
 
I love the look and sound of what I've just researched on this little fish, but from reading it can jump or even crawl up the side of an aquarium and escape it would not be a good one for me.
Hey, thank you for letting me know that he can escape. I think my tank is safe enough but it's good to know ☺️
 
I think they can be semi aggressive to others of their species. Yours is likely fine alone but if you want more, I'd suggest 4+ so that pushiness is spread around & no 1 "lesser" fish gets picked on.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top