Severums With Rams?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brahmza

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I recently moved and am starting to set up my tanks again. Right now, I have a 55g tank set up, PH 6.8, Temp at 75 fahrenheit, and I have a few questions. I know that adult severums shouldn't be kept in a 55g. I just purchased a group of 8 juveniles, all under quarter size, and that is all I have in the tank currently. Gravel substrate with rocky caves and a lot of fake plants. When the tank starts becoming too crowded with all of the severums, I will be bringing all but 2 (male and female pair) back to the shop. When those two outgrow the tank, I'd be transferring them and all of the following into a 90g. Here's my stocking idea

8 Super Red Severums (2 as they grow older)
2 German Blue Rams (I would be purchasing these right away so they grow together with the severums)
1 Tinfoil barb (Again, purchasing when very young, allowing them to grow with the other fish)
6 Syndontis petricolas (I have 6 of them right now in a 30g, all about an inch long)
Maybe a few of my apple snails as well.

Just mainly concerned with the Rams. I know that severums are generally peaceful, but as with most cichlids will eat whatever they can fit in their mouth. Otherwise, would there be any other cichlid that I could put a few of in with the Severum, but keep the tank relatively peaceful? Thanks!

Edit: Also thought of instead of rams, adding one blue acara, allowing it to grow with the severums, or going the other route and doing like 3 turquoise rainbows and 3 goyder river rainbows. 

I wouldn't have a tinfoil barb in a 55g for starters, they are truly huge fish.

Yeah I've actually decided against it now. I'm leaning more towards going with the rainbows, since they get a bit larger and are a lot faster than the rams. I wouldn't want the rams getting bullied on the off-chance I have some temperamental severums. Still open to suggestions though. LFS is having a half-off sale on all fish livestock in a few weeks.

I don't think this tank works for quite a few reasons...

Super Reds are Heros Efasticious and as they grow are going to need way more than a 250 litre tank your looking ideally in the 400 liter plus range or as a minimum something like a Juwel 300 or a Trigon 350. They are huge fish when adult and really need the space. I know it sounds crazy but Severums are very emotional fish and are known to get stressed and sulk if they are not happy. A better option would be to go for Rotkiel Severums as they do stay smaller and dont get as chunky. But they are harder to find and obviously look pretty different from the supper reds

As for mixing them with the Rams, go for Bolivian Rams, Blue/Gold Rams are very hard to keep and if they are not the main focus of the tank it can be hard to get it to work. A group of 6 or so Bolivian Rams would work in a tank of a suitable size for the Severums.

Totally agree with the Tin Foil Barb as well - check out Tikarimans tank in the pictures and vids section to see how big they really are.

Hope that helps
Wills

Well as I said above, as I notice them outgrowing the tank, they will be placed into a 90g, which if I'm correct is roughly 340L. Right now I'm aiming more towards a group of 5 turquoise rainbows. LFS just got them in and they're only 1" big right now, perfect size to allow them to grow with the severums. I think it'd add nice contrast with the colors as well. So my stocking list of full grown fish in the 90g (340L) would look something like this:

1 pair of super red severums
5 turquoise rainbows
10 syndontis petricolas

Only other thing I would be interested in adding would be maybe a BN pleco, or a schooling fish (But not severum snack sized)
I currently do not own the 90G aquarium (I have money aside for it currently, just waiting) and if I feel it is needed, I would end up going with a 125g.
Any schooling fish that might work well?

Ah really sorry I missed that bit, was replying in a rush. Again sorry.

So long as the bigger tank happens that look pretty good to me :) A smaller schooling fish would work well like Lemon Tetras or any of the Disk shaped Tetras would work. Or you could do Dwarf Neon Rainbows to compliment the larger Turquoise?

Wills

Actually I'm going even further with the stocking and tank size haha. Decided that for a birthday present to myself I'll be getting a 125g tank. Here's the stocking list I'm currently looking at. Any suggestions to add or tweak are welcomed! :D

1 pair of Super Red Severums
5 Turquoise Rainbows
5 Lake Tebera Rainbows
10 Denisons Barbs
10 Syndontis Petricola

Looking for maybe a larger fish (Smaller than the severums at full grown) that I could put in, or maybe something on the smaller end that wont be a severum snack. Thanks!

Thats quite a lot of big fish... I would maybe choose between the types of Rainbows

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back