Severum Tank Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

it might be ok now, but i don't think tiger barbs are. tiger barbs are nippy, so when the severums get older they will most likely kill the tiger barbs

it might be ok now, but i don't think tiger barbs are. tiger barbs are nippy, so when the severums get older they will most likely kill the tiger barbs
Don't think the tiger barbs are.... what? Suitable?

I wouldn't have thought they would have. I've kept adult severum before with small fish and the never bothered with them. There not the fastest swimmers severum so I doubt they could.

BUT, every fish is different, so only time will tell.

i meant suitable sorry,
but severums have different personalities so it is kind of like a hit and run

Ok, we update on the goings on in my tank.

All fish settling in well. Severum appear to not be getting along though, they just stay out each others way. They've taken to guarding/hiding under their own selected pieces of bogwood.

The Firemouth are excellent!! Im actually in love with them, really nice looking fish. Im pretty sure I have 1 male and possable 1 female but unsure.

SAM_0098.jpg

peekaboo
SAM_0096.jpg

SAM_0100.jpg

SAM_0102.jpg

SAM_0104.jpg

and my we red tail
SAM_0103.jpg

and final shot of my tank so far...
SAM_0105.jpg

Im desperately in need of some more plants in there but its a working progres.

And did I mention I have an AMAZING camera! 2nd to none!
shifty.gif

That's my favorite gravel. :)

Cheers guys :)

I've had to move 1 of my severum as it wouldn't leave the other sev alone. It's been a week of watching it getting its head kicked in and I didn't want it to die as it was looking pretty bad. So the bully is in my friends tank for the next week or so then once the 1 being bullied has perked up a bit and is more comfortable with its surroundings, I will rescape the tank completely and then reintroduce it.

Here's hoping.....

Not had a we update in a while...

I've more or less completely re scaped my tank now. I was going to post a pic, but I've now decided I'm going to go Down the sand route, so will be getting some of argos' finest play sand tomorrow.

Once the sand is in, decor and fish, I will be re introducing my other severum back to the tank. Looking forward to seeing the we dude again.

My current severum (the 1 being bullied) has grown a we bit and has taken command of the tank, so hopefully it'll be able to stick up for itself.

My firemouth on the other hand have stolen the show. What an amazing pair of fish they are turning out to be. Loving them a heck of a lot more than I expected I would. There full of character, always side by side getting up to stuff. Great to watch.

Anyway.... I will post some more pics o we the next couple of days with the tanks progress.

G

Ok, update time.

I have completely transformed my tank.

before...
IMAG0620.jpg

after...
SAM_0108.jpg

Bit of a difference! I have wanted to have sand as my substrate for ages now and finally decided to just do it. Glad I did but I never want to go through that again!!!

I got my other severum back last night too, and.......

SAM_0114.jpg

Back to where they left off. But at least its a fight this time and not just 1 getting a kicking all the time.

There doesnt seem to be any fighting now (fingers crossed) but there is so much more in the tank to keep them amused and out of each others way.

I have 4 small rotkiel that are always at it. Nothing serious, just lip locking and chasing. They've been at it a year and no harm done. They are just sorting who wears the pants and its pairing up/breeding behaviour . I will rehome two eventually when I get a pair so I'm not worried

Are the severums both males? If so you should trade one in for a female and see what happens.

Wow, haven't been on here in a while, better get a we update.

My 2 young severum have since died. I bought a bigger red spotted sev from a shop iv never dealt with before (and prob never will) and it contaminated my tank with fin rot and white spot. Something I ha ent had in my tank for years!
Needles to say, it wiped out a few of my fish unfortunately. My firemouth both are still thriving!

I now only have 2 firemouth, 1 red spot severum and about 13 tiger barbs. So my tank is pretty "roomy" at the moment. Not much fish in there at all.

I will try upload some pictures tomorrow night.

G

Aww man that sounds awful! I had a similar experience but with some kind of internal parasite from a male Nic took out a lot of my fish :( Is the red spot the one that brought the disease into the tank?

Looking forward to pics!

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back