Severum don’t get along HELP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Helix1994

Reaction score
1A3AA1EE-6BB4-4B31-A32B-456C69AE85FD.jpeg

84C998C3-DDA4-4D0A-93A3-7B53F7B4ED1C.png

Green severum question 🙋‍♀️ Can anyone tell me if these are two males or if the first one is a female ? The first one has very little squiggles on the face but keeps chasing the one that is an obvious male (see second picture). The poor second one is always running away from it. No bites of fins damage but im wondering how can I stop the bickering. No other fish in the tank but those two in a 75G tank and one seems to dominate the whole tank and the other ones always hides unless I’m by the tank (he comes out and greets me and comes out for feeding).
What is my luck at getting them to get along?. Tried rearranging the aquarium several times.

Here is a closeup of their face markings

Attachments

• 3EBDCC0C-2F6A-4D2C-8831-CA79609C6E1A.jpeg
    3EBDCC0C-2F6A-4D2C-8831-CA79609C6E1A.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 47
  • C0500184-2089-459C-AAE6-C692DD64DA88.jpeg
    C0500184-2089-459C-AAE6-C692DD64DA88.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 44
Sorry no one has answered this yet!

I don't know anything about these big cichlids I'm afraid, but know a man who does! So tagging @Wills , hopefully he can give you some advice :)

Hey @Helix1994
As they are getting big (up to 30 cm) to me, your tank is too small : no hiding places, not enough space to escape and run away. Substrate isn't suitable, neither are plastic plants.

We need more details :

....Setup :
Overall pics of the tank
Why not live plants ?
Nitrogen cycle done ?
Filter capacity ?
Temp. ?
....Parameters :
pH (tap/source water and tank)
GH-hardness (tap/source water and tank)
KH-alkalinity (tap/source water and tank)
Ammonia (tap/source water and tank)
Nitrites (tap/source water and tank)
Nitrates (tap/source water and tank)
Water changes (volume, frequency) ?
Food brand and daily amount ?
Any other species ?

Sometimes things like this happen with any sized cichlids I keep two green Severum in a 125 no issue
In keeping multiple cichlids if found that tank layout is important they must have individual territory they claim sometimes this means making your tank not look as pretty and adding or removing hardscape
Also just as important is the timing of adding the fish
Currently in my tank the overall boss is a female electric blue acara 3inchs smaller than the Severum and half the weight I put this down to knowing there place in a way the Severum were bought at 1.5-2inches in size and grew up in a tank with adult fish and an established hierarchy
Even so there cichlids and this could all change at any time
I would look to rehome one of the sevs to be honest

Most reactions

trending

Back