The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My first nerite snail died right after (or before it was hard to tell if it was just inactive or dead when I removed it) I accidentally poisoned my tank while.changing substrate. My second one died a few days ago. Had them about 10 months. Coincidence? Or not?

Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water.
A pH below 7.0 will cause problems, as will any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

Changing the substrate should not kill snails because they just close their operculum (door to their shell) if the conditions are bad.

Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water.
A pH below 7.0 will cause problems, as will any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

Changing the substrate should not kill snails because they just close their operculum (door to their shell) if the conditions are bad.
Ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrate is 5. Ph is 6. Gh is between 12 and 22 ppm

How often did you feed them and what did you feed them?

They ate the algae off the walls of the tank, a piece of peeled cucumber every once in awhile, algae wafers and fish food on the substrate. They never had lack of algae. My mystery snail is doing fine right now too which is why I'm confused

Did you blanch the cucumber before you added it to your tank?

A good lfs somewhat nearby

Did you see the LFS workers pick him out of the tank? They may have ripped him off the glass and could have damaged him.

It could also just be natural cause. I am wondering why your ph is at 6 though...?

Did you see the LFS workers pick him out of the tank? They may have ripped him off the glass and could have damaged him.

It could also just be natural cause. I am wondering why your ph is at 6 though...?
I've had him for almost a year if it was from the pet store wouldnt it have shown up before now?

Why are you wondering about the ph?

Are you 100% certain that your snail died? For a sure way to determine it is by smelling the snail. If there is no odor than there is a chance that it might be alive. If there is a putrid odor than it's most likely that the snail died.

Also, nerite snails do best in hard water as it helps aid in the development of their shells.

Are you 100% certain that your snail died? For a sure way to determine it is by smelling the snail. If there is no odor than there is a chance that it might be alive. If there is a putrid odor than it's most likely that the snail died.
Yep its 100% dead.

Could have just been old age. Average life of a nerite is a year or two. I had one for 2 years once but most the time i have them for a little over a year then they move on to little snail heaven.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back