Searching For 11 Months!

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
Just after joining the Forum (exactly 1 year ago), somebody posted a thread on breeding Brisstle nose, & I then became obsessed with getting myself a few & also try to breed them, as I never thought they were ever bred in captivity.....

Today, I had to take the little car for a service and we do not have a Kia workshop in town, so I had to take her to the city (Pretoria) some 640km return trip.They finished the car at around 14h00, so I had the rest of the day to check out pet stores around the city... (only got to visit only 4 of them)

Did not really see much to write home about, BUT!!... I got myself 5 x 1.5" albino bristle nose..... 3 Albino Cories and 2 x Red/gold Sailfin Mollie males (just to inject some fresh blood into my existing stocks)

I am particularly chaffed with the BN's & look forward to give 'em a go in the breeding tank..... It will probably be some time yet as these are still small, but I'm starting up a new outside pond specifically for them to be ready in about 3 month's time..... It'll be a bonus if I can also manage to breed the cories....

Also took some pics of a couple of Marines I saw in one shop, which I will post sometime

Anybody having suceeded with BN's previously, please gimme the details..... I wanna start setting up tommorow!!!
 
BN breed fairly easily - a cave, good food and water, I've even had some breed in a floating hollowed out log! Yours will need to about double in size at least before they are ready to breed but they do grow fairly rapidly on a good varied diet.

Cories are excellent companions and will often breed in similar conditions as the plecs.
 
BN breed fairly easily - a cave, good food and water, I've even had some breed in a floating hollowed out log! Yours will need to about double in size at least before they are ready to breed but they do grow fairly rapidly on a good varied diet.

Cories are excellent companions and will often breed in similar conditions as the plecs.

In the shop however, these were not listed as Brisstle Nose.... these people called them something else (which I've forgotten.... can anybody give me the alternative name for Albino BN's???... I think it starts with "A"

What language do people speak where you live?


well done getting the fish :)

Well.... I am Afrikaans... Why do you ask.... did I make a grammar error again???
 
Ancistrus is the genus name.

Throw them in a pond with loads of rocks, wood, and pleco caves.

They like a tight hole when spawning so the male can guard the eggs easily.

Also in a pond they should get plenty of algae growing which their love :)
 
how ever they can take upto a 18 months for males to mature and start breeding
 
At least your be able to sell them if you dont get many into SA :)
 
Congratulations on your find, i'd love to see piccies when you have some.

Good luck!
 
congratulations mate!

i dont think 4 pet stores is too bad lol XD

in all honesty, im not too keep on albino BN's, but whatever floats your boat :)
 
Congratulations on your find, i'd love to see piccies when you have some.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, I've released them in the big community tank so's gonna be hard to find, but here's a glimpse of the only one I can currently see.....

Albinos221.jpg



Albinos223.jpg
 
Ah!... & I almost forgot to say that another thing that I've been looking for for many moons, I have also found Valisneria..... The last time I saw any of these plants in South Africa was way back in the late 70's.... I am so chaffed.... I bought every plant they had available.....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top