School Project

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sputnick

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys! Im currently a senior in high school and for my speech class we have to do a demonstration speech. As soon as our teacher told us this my mind shot strait to doing a tutorial on how to aquascape an aquarium!
good.gif

59.gif

So i thought this would be a great oportunity to do my first journal!
welcomeani.gif
  As for supplies I bought two pieces of bogwood and have them in the aquarium arranged how i would like them to be. I also picked up a bag of red flourite substrate for a pretty good price i thought, only $19! For plants i have two anubis, an onion plant, and a few sprouts of some kind of other plant.. I Split it Sunday but its melting back pretty bad, but i hope once I change to my flourite that it will bounce back. I plan on getting more plants, but not enough where i need C02. Liquid Ferts.. maybe. But Im pretty excited to get started on this. My plan is to get some carpet plants, i saw a really nice reddish plant but they arn't labled and my LFS
no.gif
  and she isn't a plant person and neither am I.. So im just going with what i think will look good. She doesn't have C02 in her tanks and the guy she gets them from doesn't run C02 either and they look very healthy. Ill try and post some pictures tomorrow hopefully maybe a video too.
fish.gif

well i got the tank taken appat last night and rescaped it. i toom a video cor my school project, so once i get it edited ill post it. ill try anx get pics up tonight or tomorrow. i think im gonna need some more background plants though. looks a little.. empty in the back. lol

yeah sorry I got caught up in other school work, I should have everything up by tomorrow night. Hopefully that is. ill try and get at least one picture up tonight though. My dwarf hair grass keeps getting up rooted any pointers on how to keep it in the substrate? I don't think its my fish that are causing the issue I think that it may just be the substrate itself

you could use a net of some kind? ask zifoski, thats what he used in his 330l

that's a good idea.. lol Im not sure how that would work though did he just grow the dwarf hair grass into the net before he put it in? did he put it over the hair grass until it grew in?

i think he put it over the grass, and weighed the corners down with rocks or something

hey :D, il tell you now, haha, i put the grass into the sand and after a week i was getting to pissed of with it being dug up all the time, so i found some net, and just burried it around the grass area, turned out my fish were clever and dug that up to so i made a frame from garden canes and buried them in as well with some weights and that helped w8ed around 2 more weeks and the grass had stuck i then took the netting away and now the only DHG i get flowing about is the new growth that grows out of the sand and not in the sand :D

hope this has helped

and for background plants i would must recommend Hygrophila Guanensis these grow amazingly quick :) and look wonderfully they are the tall lush green plants in my picture :D click on the link of my sig to check out my journal :D

ok i may have to go digging for some net!
good.gif
thanks.gif
   I will have to see if my LFS has any Hygrophila Guanesis, i think that is exactly what my tank is calling for. Looks perfect for my needs at least lol. Thanks much or the tips!

Oh! and i promise ill get some Pictures up Tonight FOR SURE!
yes.gif

your welcome, i got the net from B&Q, it just standard pond netting un the gardening section, as long as its plastic should do the trick.

also the Hygrophila Guanesis i bought online from Aqua Essentials i have never seen in the LFS tbh so may haft to look online for it, if your in the uk i can sell you some of mine if you wanted :) pm me if your interested

Unless you have high light in your tank, I'd suggest H. Corymbosa or H. Kompakt which don't require as much light (although they still need medium light). I have H. Kompakt in two of my tanks. 
smile.png

@ Zikofski- I live in the states but thanks for the offer! ill do some searching online and see what i come up with.

@ Old Spouse- I have a marineland LED Hidden 17" light bar right now. I also use an old T8 21watt single light. I plan on replacing that light with a marineland Double LED light and run both the hidden and the Double Bright together. But im not sure where id stand on lighting.. Id assume id be near the middle ATLEAST, and if not towards the higher end of lighting.

well i guess im gonna have to go back on my promise for pictures.. there is a large snowstorm right now and i can't seem to get the pictures to upload
no.gif
 so hopefully tomorrow it will work.

no worries :) no rush with the pics :) enjoy the snow if you like it :D

Well its better late than never i suppose! Let me know what you guys think, if you want more pictures i can post more too. The only thing that has changed is pretty much all my DHG died and one
other plant died, not sure what its called.
noexpression.gif

DSCN0184 by codski1, on FlickrDSCN0187 by codski1, on Flickr

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back