Scandanavia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Doesn't melt occur when the plants go from one PH to another? If they're grown in a dish there wont be a PH change will there?

Very Nice. I like the lush green on those foreground plants in the last three pictures. Beautiful Rams btw. absolutely gorgeous.

Doesn't melt occur when the plants go from one PH to another? If they're grown in a dish there wont be a PH change will there?

plants don't really care about Ph, it's all C02 based. Melt is from one level of C02 to another...if it was Ph, then my plants from my LFS wouldn't melt as they use the same water, also as most are grown emeresed they don't know what Ph is.

That's what I meant as there's no PH when immersed, oh well none have melted and all have shown significant growth already, bit leggy but that's Staurogyne for you being a stem, just gonna trim everything down to an inch tall and re plant.

Here's a quick vid of the glassware, lost the one on my laptop with the nosy male Ram, not great quality but I think it looks good for cheapo stuff. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz-0Gc_Ps9s

Bad news for this scape, had a massive algae outbreak, basically the brown slime stuff which took over the whole tank in days, tried to fight it but no use, its out competed my plants for all the nutrients so they have gone major downhill and the whole tank looks terrible, now its a case of having it filled with water for the fish and its bare, was thinking of doing a dry start on it with the little bits of surviving plants I have left but I'm not sure yet, if not then Scandanavia 2 will be in the pipeline soon with all 1-2 grow plants.

Bad news for this scape, had a massive algae outbreak, basically the brown slime stuff which took over the whole tank in days, tried to fight it but no use, its out competed my plants for all the nutrients so they have gone major downhill and the whole tank looks terrible, now its a case of having it filled with water for the fish and its bare, was thinking of doing a dry start on it with the little bits of surviving plants I have left but I'm not sure yet, if not then Scandanavia 2 will be in the pipeline soon with all 1-2 grow plants.

Sorry to hear that mate.
What do you think caused the outbreak ?

Think it was due to the filter not being cycled, bought it used and owner said its full of cycled bacteria but I think it was washed with hot water or something, never mind tho will bounce back with something else.

Sorry to hear that STeve. Hope you figure it out and create some much better. :good:

Chin up mate.

:D I'm ok mate, just put a downer on the scape is all, at least I know after all this plant rot the filter is well cycled for the next scape, well I hope that's what caused it, app it can flare up from low maintenance but with a fully cycled filter and no immersed grown plants in there I thought I'd leave the excessive water changes, guess I should have done it after all lol.

Think it was due to the filter not being cycled, bought it used and owner said its full of cycled bacteria but I think it was washed with hot water or something, never mind tho will bounce back with something else.

I find this a bit hard to digest. I've run several planted tanks in the past with brand new filters and have not experienced this and I didn't cycle any of those tanks. They did the silent cycle. Also, why, in a densely planted tank, would you even bother cycling a tank or using mature media from a filter? Why not just use the silent cycle? From the looks of things when you planted, you totally could've done a silent cycle and not bothered with old media.

When did you install the filter? Did you use the New Eheim or the old? You mention a new Eheim, but now above you say it was used. So I'm confused. Unless you got an ammonia spike that you didn't account for because the media was killed because it was rinsed, but then why would you even bother with mature media in a densely planted tank? Not necessary IMO.

Lack of maintenance would also contribute to that algae issue. Do you even know what type of algae it was. Diatoms, cyano? A Fungus perhaps even?

L

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back