Sand For fish friends

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Freshwater Sucker Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Sand!

Soooo I want to be cheap. Sand is kinda pricy when I can get it for free. I know the best place to get free sand is sand by a nice lake. Let's say that's not an option is there anything bad about taking sand from say a sandpit for my fishes??

It is always a serious risk using any material from the ecosystem. You've no idea what might be in the sand in the way of pathogens, bacteria, toxins. Play Sand is inexpensive, and frankly about the best sand for an aquarium.

You are in Canada, so visit your local Home Depot or Lowe's and look for Quikrete Play Sand; this brand is safe, and both stores seem to carry it. There is a dark grey mix and a more basic buff tone mix. I have the dark grey and changed all my tanks to this some 8 or 9 years ago. A 25 kg bag costs around $6-$7 and will do a 4-foot by 1-foot substrate. You do not want it too deep, about 1.5 inches (3 cm) when spread evenly.

It is always a serious risk using any material from the ecosystem. You've no idea what might be in the sand in the way of pathogens, bacteria, toxins. Play Sand is inexpensive, and frankly about the best sand for an aquarium.

You are in Canada, so visit your local Home Depot or Lowe's and look for Quikrete Play Sand; this brand is safe, and both stores seem to carry it. There is a dark grey mix and a more basic buff tone mix. I have the dark grey and changed all my tanks to this some 8 or 9 years ago. A 25 kg bag costs around $6-$7 and will do a 4-foot by 1-foot substrate. You do not want it too deep, about 1.5 inches (3 cm) when spread evenly.
black diamond blasting sand worked for me....
it is the 2nd most thinnest option

black diamond blasting sand worked for me....
What mesh size, or grade, of the black diamond blasting sand did you use? I would love a darker substrate now that I am not using aquarium soil.

In regards to using natural collected sand or gravel you can use it, I have used collected gravel for years, but it isn't necessarily cheaper, or saves you work. The main reason to use a collected sand is for a unique color or texture.

To collect gravel I do the following (sand would be the same):
  1. Find a clean site, ie not near sewage or industrial outflows, also avoid agricultural areas, and that has the type of sand you want.
  2. Perform an acid test on the sand and ensure it doesn't react. Some people use vinegar for this but I find muriatic acid to work the best. If the substrate reacts with the acid it is not suitable for use. (caution the acid it can burn you)
  3. Ensure that it is OK to collect sand from the site.
  4. Look for an area that has the grain size you are looking for, the sand aspect is new to me so I cannot help on the size recommendation. Alternatively you can purchase or make screens to get the right size sand particles (I used to keep a whole set of screens for gravels). If you screen the sand it is more efficient to screen at the collection site rather than take it home to screen.
  5. Do an initial wash of the sand and drain most of the water from it.
  6. Put the sand in buckets then place full strength bleach in the buckets. I put in approximately 2 cups of bleach per 5 gallon bucket 2/3 full with sand. Top up the sand bleach mix with water till it just covers the sand, mix and let it sit for a few days.
  7. Drain the bleach water mix in an area where the bleach will not cause a problem. At this point I usually repeat the sterilization process, though I don't know if this is fully required.
  8. Fully drain the fluid from the sand and rinse it thoroughly. This will take a bit of time. I usually transfer a small amount of sand to a normal pail and rinse it till I cannot smell any bleach then double or triple that rinsing to make sure.
  9. I would add chorine neutralizer to the sand, mix with water and let sit for a day before a final rinse.
This method is labour intensive, the biggest issue is ensuring the bleach is entirely rinsed from the sand, but it has worked well for me. I used to have some beautiful red gravel from the north shore of Lake Superior that we collected in the mid 70s that I had kept in various tanks until about 5 years ago, when losses over the years reduced the 16 gallons I started with to about 2.

I now use Quikrete playsand, @Byron suggestion, but it needed a lot of cleaning before I would put it in my tanks. The grey version @Byron mentions is not available where I live and I don't see it offered on the company site. It is sterilized by heating with a flame, but it is otherwise sand pit sand that is loosely graded. The fish seem to be able to dig in it and that makes them happy.

Isn't it abrasive ?

The problem with any construction-grade sand is the sharpness. This may not matter for some fish, but for others it can be trouble. Corydoras for instance should never be subjected to blasting sand, or paver sand, or similar. Play Sand is refined to make it less rough and smoother; at least the Quikrete brand is--not all play sand is the same.

The problem with any construction-grade sand is the sharpness. This may not matter for some fish, but for others it can be trouble. Corydoras for instance should never be subjected to blasting sand, or paver sand, or similar. Play Sand is refined to make it less rough and smoother; at least the Quikrete brand is--not all play sand is the same.
uh oh!!!
i kept my cories with that sand...
they are totally fine though...
i stirred it around in a bucket hundreds of times when cleaning so i think maybe it has sanded itself????

I take all my substrate from the wild, I would never use anything like play sand or blasting sand. If you have a nice clean pollutant free river or stream use the substrate from that rather than some man made stuff. I have never had a problem with introducing something into my tanks from using natural substrate.

I think the advantage of PFS is that it is made to let water though. The grains are more or less the same size and polished / rounded which doesn't allow it to close down (no anaerobic pockets / rotting / etc.....).

It is cheap and super stuff.

Last edited:
uh oh!!!
i kept my cories with that sand...
they are totally fine though...
i stirred it around in a bucket hundreds of times when cleaning so i think maybe it has sanded itself????
The best way to not make mistake is to set up the aquarium with the same or so sand that you'd find in Corydoras biotope, where you will never see any blasting sand !

Last edited:
The best way to not make mistake is to set up the aquarium with the same or so sand that you'd finf in Corydoras niotope, where you will never see any blasting sand !
No Pool Filter Sand or Playsand as well in South American rivers !

No Pool Filter Sand or Playsand as well in South American rivers !

This is certainly true, as Ian Fuller points out, which is why he does not recommend any commercial sand. Only true river sand which is sold as Aquarium Sand.

I am not going to argue with someone like Ian who clearly has a deeper knowledge of Corydoras than I do, or anyone else I have come across on this forum for that matter. I use Quikrete Play Sand because it is the most refined and thus less rough of the industrial sands. I suppose it is something of a case of using the best of the worst, so to speak. Not all play sand is the same, however, so Ian has a very valid point.

The best way to not make mistake is to set up the aquarium with the same or so sand that you'd finf in Corydoras niotope, where you will never see any blasting sand !
Mud!?!
I think the tank will be very very messy if i had mud though..

Most reactions

trending

Back