sand as substrate

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am thinking of using sand for my substrate. Is there any drawbacks to using sand? such as not being able to house bacteria as well or anything? I have cichlids and barbs in the tank.

- kip

I'd imagen it wouldn't be too great for your filter. Some would probably get up in there during water changes or cleaning the sand and it would be horrible for the motor and gears.

But then again sand does look pretty sexy. :wub:

It does add a good look to a fish tank, but if you have diggers, it would totally clog up your filter!

There are two main drawbacks to sand IMO,the first is that it is unwise to have the substrate deeper then 1",because sand is denser than gravel pockets of toxic gasses can build up easier in a deeper substrate and when these get disturbed they can wipe out the entire tank.Because the substrate is only 1" deep it makes it difficult to grow live plants.

The other drawback is that if you have fish that like to dig the sand can get swirled up and drawn into the filter which can damage powerheads and clog the media.

do firemouths like to dig at all? i think i read somewhere that they do on occasion like to dig a little.

- kip

All central american cichlids like to dig,sand with these fish is not a good idea a fine gravel would be a better substrate.

i believe i will go with fine gravel then.

if you had to choose between blackish or light in color, which way would you go.

which looks better once the poop builds up a little bit and the tank gets broken in.

- kip

skiltrip said:
i believe i will go with fine gravel then.

if you had to choose between blackish or light in color, which way would you go.

which looks better once the poop builds up a little bit and the tank gets broken in.

- kip
Like cfc already mentioned, it's almost impossible to have CA/SA's with a sand substrate. I find that it's hard with Mbunas also. Mine I have dig more than most New World cichlids I've had.

It's more of a personal preference as far as color of gravel goes. I like black and dark grey the best because I feel it brings out the colors of the fish more. You could go with brown also.

I would just try and stay away from flourescent gravel so it doesn't make the fish feel like they are in a spotlight all the time and maybe make them more shy.

Go with a dark substrate,i have light gravel in my tanks and really wish i didnt as it washes the colour from the fish and makes taking good photographs very difficult as it reflects the light from the tubes. I will definately be going for a darker substrate the next time i set a new tank up.

if i was going to go with sand, i was going to maybe get that black moon sand. but as i am not going to get sand, perhaps i'll try to find a fine black gravel. they do make it right?

- kip

skiltrip said:
if i was going to go with sand, i was going to maybe get that black moon sand. but as i am not going to get sand, perhaps i'll try to find a fine black gravel. they do make it right?

- kip
Yea, they make it. You can also get 2 dif colors if you like.

If you need 100# of gravel, get 90# of black and 10# slate grey or of another etc.

Makes it look really nice with a contrast. But all black would like nice also. The darker the better, imo. :)

There is a lot of varying opinions on sand. I use sand in all my tanks, including my CA, and have never run into any problems. I cover the filter intake on my Eheims with a Fluval sponge insert. I do a backwash on the filters every month or two to flush out any sand that may have gotten in, and make sure I use a good amount of filter floss. I clean the fluval sponge about once a month, to make sure it doesn't get clogged with larger debris.

Mogo said:
There is a lot of varying opinions on sand. I use sand in all my tanks, including my CA, and have never run into any problems. I cover the filter intake on my Eheims with a Fluval sponge insert. I do a backwash on the filters every month or two to flush out any sand that may have gotten in, and make sure I use a good amount of filter floss. I clean the fluval sponge about once a month, to make sure it doesn't get clogged with larger debris.
Yea, that's a good point.

I shouldn't have painted it with a broad brush.

It can be done and I know a lot of people that do do it with great success. You are correct.

smb,

My post wasn't a rebuttal against your post, I didn't mean it to sound like that. I was just explaining my methods of pulling it off, even with my Nics. Although they manage to completely redecorate my tank within a matter of a few hours :D Either way, I just personally prefer sand, maybe it's a little harder to maintain than gravel, but it looks nice. Cheers!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back